IGNORED

Bringing a 1977 Z back life

Av8ferg

28 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

So it tested good on when I had it off and jumped it with the car battery.

Do you guys have any ideas of what I should do now?

You could run a power wire back to the pump if you just want to pump fuel and hear the engine run.

If you want to fix the pump power problem you'll probably need a meter or test light and the instructions from the Engine Fuel chapter.

Seems like you have fuel and you have a pump, you just need to get power to it.  Don't make it too complicated.  My car, when I bought it, had an eight foot piece of wire ran back to the pump from a past PO's problem-solving efforts.

I didn't watch the movie.  It's 74 MB.  And it's only audio.

Edited by Zed Head

Sorry about the long video. 

I like the idea of running wires to the pump straight from the battery.  I just want to see it start and if it does I’ll drill down on the cause of lack of voltage to the pump.  Off to Walmart to buy to wire that’s long enough to reach the pump.  

I also got my new radiator installed today.  Making process...

28720CE6-29F0-454A-B919-D0D3028E014F.jpeg

Amazing how handling things gives them a cleaner look. 

Alligator clips for the pump and the battery I suppose. Fortunately I had a bad charger I robbed the clamps off of.  I use it more than I thought testing things.

20ft of speaker wire.  Hell an old 25ft extension cord would work too.

1516494131023.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

Well, pulled the pump out wired to the battery and ran a hose into a gas can.  When I pressurized the system I had fuel spray out one of the new hoses I installed...oops.  I tighened all the clamps up and did it again.  The fuel press gauge went to 60 psi.  I went to turn the car over and........nothing.   While turning over I hear a fairly loud “psssst” about every 2 seconds while it’s turning over, seems to be coming near intake.  Now I’m wondering if it’s getting a spark....or are the injectors get voltage?  If the pump wasn’t getting power maybe the injectors aren’t either.  Back to the drawing board.  This is getting frustrating.  Check out this ghetto setup. 

ECE3180C-32FD-4B51-8345-C1B057987CF5.jpeg

BCC0F90C-67CD-41B0-B1D7-DD60DEF9439B.jpeg

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

I can also hear gas returning to the main fuel tank from the return line.  

Are you sure that's what you're hearing?  Your fuel pressure is way too high.  Kind of looks like you have your inlet and outlet lines to the fuel rail backward, and the inlet is pumping in to the return end of the FPR.  Your stock pump has an internal relief valve that lets go at 43 to ~60 psi.  If you pump in to the wrong end of the FPR you'll max out your fuel pump pressure.

The line from the pump should feed directly in to the rail.  The FPR is like a pressure relief valve.  It lets fuel by to return to the tank after set pressure is reached.

Can't remember if the top line or bottom line is the inlet.  Looks like you're using the top as the inlet.  To the FSM....

Just went and checked a rail in the garage.  The top line looks right as the inlet.  Your pressure is too high for some reason.  Looks like you have two problems - no injection and high fuel pressure.  Very close.

You can use carb cleaner also as a starter fluid.  Try Patcon's suggestion, just for inspiration.

Have a hose pipe or fire extinguisher on the ready too.

Don't get mad at me but swapping in SU carbs was very popular in the late 70s, early 80s.  The "computer" on our Zs only ran the EFI, FYI.  Once they're set you're good to go. 8^)

$500 give or take.  Like an old VW too. LOL 

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

I agree with Cliff. IMO, If one likes screwing around with suspect electrical components, EFI is the answer. If, however, one is more mechanically inclined and wants to move on to other parts of the project, SU's are the answer. They are the most reliable, trouble free carbs I've ever dealt with. Fantastic for the street.

I might add that RossiZ swapped to SU's after refurbishing the entire EFI system. He loves SU's on his 280 daily driver.

• Like 1