IGNORED

Bringing a 1977 Z back life

Av8ferg

Comfirmed the fuel pump is dead.  The extra one I have works so it’s on it’s way in now.  That fuel pump was a pain in the butt to get off.  Lines were frozen on.  The fuel coming out of that old pump smells aweful.  

I also go the fuel rail off.  One injector has a screw that wont come out.  I’ve put PB blaster on he screw but no luck so far.  Will let it sit and try again.  

A6C2BE15-6F06-4593-9DA7-F95187B54A5C.jpeg

50137BAD-E58C-4252-B4B7-E8DC60791897.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

Comfirmed the fuel pump is dead.  The extra one I have works so it’s on it’s way in now.  That fuel pump was a pain in the butt to get off.  Lines were frozen on.  The fuel coming out of that old pump smells aweful.  

I also go the fuel rail off.  One injector has a screw that wont come out.  I’ve put PB blaster on he screw but no luck so far.  Will let it sit and try again.  

A6C2BE15-6F06-4593-9DA7-F95187B54A5C.jpeg

50137BAD-E58C-4252-B4B7-E8DC60791897.jpeg

You may have to cut a slit in it with a Dremel disc and use a flathead screwdriver.  Almost all mine did that round off bullshit. 

My memory is coming back!  Try a small set of Vise-Grips on it if the lubricate doesn't work.

Edited by siteunseen

Okay the hoses on this rail are dry and brittle. I’m pulling them all off and replacing them all. I hope I can get this thing back together. I’m also going to lightly sand off the rust and respray it with some black rust resistant paint I think. I’ll also make sure the lines are clear. This is slowing me down but better to do it while it’s off. Going to buy some needle nose vise grips for that stubborn screw. Then buy a Dremel to go the other route if no luck. Look at this mess.  Previous person didn’t use Fuel Injectors clamps, I’ll fix that.  These hoses were bound to leak at some point. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ED3529F7-D784-4662-A809-0DAEC5489E30.jpeg

Edited by Av8ferg
Forgot pic

1 hour ago, Av8ferg said:

Previous person didn’t use Fuel Injectors clamps, I’ll fix that.  These hoses were bound to leak at some point. 

The injectors are designed to work with no clamps.  The barb locks the hose on.  There's a full procedure shown near the end of the Engine Fuel chapter.  They just press on, it's easy.  5/16" hose.

Edit - they actually used too many clamps, marked in red.  They are the bad kind though, so better clamps for the rail connection is a good idea.

Before you install the injectors it might be worthwhile to flow test them.  Connect the hoses and electrical and power the injectors.  Compare the volume of fuel from each.  

image.png

Edited by Zed Head