IGNORED

Cody's Goon

Patcon

1 hour ago, Namerow said:

I'd call that 'patina' !

Great job straightening it out.  I think I would have binned it.

There's a YouTube video that shows a detailed restoration of a piece of kinked stainless.  The piece was hammered, flat-filed, then taken through a sequence of sanding and buffing.  Impressive results.  You might consider whether flat-filing (without hammering) would be a remedy.

Thanks

I watched several of those videos, but the trim they are working with looks multiple times thicker than what these Datsuns used. You just don't have much thickness to work with. It has to be very close to perfect before you start removing metal or you will cut through.

9 hours ago, Patcon said:

I guess some of that depends on what alloy is used

I believe that is the case as well. I think the extent of the effects is related to the grade of stainless and the temperature reached. But you're right... Nowhere to go but up, and you went way up!

And even if the stainless properties are down a little, it's not like it's going to spontaneously rust overnight in that one spot. It might surface rust slowly or something like that. An occasional buff down with scotchbrite would probably be enough to keep from attracting undesired attention.

• Like 1

Ok, so I need some diagnostic help. Cody's 510 has been acting up lately.

He describes it as trying to feed it gas but it won't go and the engine doesn't speed up. I have been working from the position that it's a fueling issue. I removed the carb a while back and tried to clean it but opening up the glass float bowl was difficult and I didn't want to break it so, I cleaned it the best I could and reinstalled it. Some times it drives great, sometimes it acts like it's starving.

We have replace the fuel filter in the engine bay.

So today we drained the gas tank looking for rust or water in the tank. Nothing! The fuel looked perfect...

We did replace the dizzy a while back with a used match box dizzy. We don't remember if we had this problem before we replaced the dizzy...

Ideas?

Fuel pressure or ignition.   Maybe have Cody give the ignition module a shot of canned cold air when the problem occurs,  then see if the motor runs normally again.   Maybe a fuel pressure test to rule that out.   I would assume you have already verified the float level.

Best of luck.

The stock carbon the 510 has a glass float window. IT has lines in it for the float level. One time when it acted up I told him to shut it down immediately and verify there is fuel in the carb. He said there was...

My best guess at this point is trash in the float bowl even though I can't see any or an ignition issue?

On 1/7/2018 at 6:42 PM, S30Driver said:

Fuel pressure or ignition.   Maybe have Cody give the ignition module a shot of canned cold air when the problem occurs,  then see if the motor runs normally again.   Maybe a fuel pressure test to rule that out.   I would assume you have already verified the float level.

I considered the matchbox being the issue a awhile back, but one of the days it acted up the low was like 7d F. I can't imagine the box running hot then.

was leaning towards a blockage in the carb float bowl or an ignition issue, but I have had a hard time coming up with test to isolate the problem. So we think we  might come up with some more info. We the car acts up (which) seems very random it will loose power and he will try to feather the pedal to keep it running. It usually stalls. Then he restarts it.

So the last couple of times it has done it. When it stalls I told him to just cut it off then restart it. Yesterday when he thought it was acting up he pulled over cut it off and restarted it immediately. Issue was gone...

So that makes me suspect maybe a bad ignition switch or possibly a bad connection causing the loss of voltage at the coil or the matchbox. Thoughts? Ideas on a test to validate this?

Starting at what I've learned as "first principles" might help.  Control of air volume is what determines engine speed, for the most part.  That's where the word "throttle" came from, to describe the mechanism that controls engine speed.  The SU's have a somewhat unique mechanism of controlling air flow via the piston, which s actuated by manifold pressure, as I understand things.  Opening the butterflies starts the process but you can open the butterflies and the piston might not move, blocking air flow.

Short - maybe the carb pistons are stuck.

Right now were running the stock 510 carb which I believe is a 2 barrel vacuum secondary carb with an accelerator pump

So one throttle plate and pumping the gas adds fuel...

It also has a glass sided float bowl so you can instantly see if the carb has fuel

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

So the last couple of times it has done it. When it stalls I told him to just cut it off then restart it. Yesterday when he thought it was acting up he pulled over cut it off and restarted it immediately. Issue was gone...

So that makes me suspect maybe a bad ignition switch or possibly a bad connection causing the loss of voltage at the coil or the matchbox. Thoughts? Ideas on a test to validate this?

I think you might be on to something here Charles.   i am guessing the 510 uses the same ignition switch as the S30 cars.  If you have a good spare,  unplug the the 510's switch and plug in the spare temporarily as a test without mounting it.  Cody can just unplug the spare switch and take it with him as theft protection.

If you need one,  let me know & I can send you one.

10 minutes ago, S30Driver said:

I think you might be on to something here Charles.   i am guessing the 510 uses the same ignition switch as the S30 cars.  If you have a good spare,  unplug the the 510's switch and plug in the spare temporarily as a test without mounting it.  Cody can just unplug the spare switch and take it with him as theft protection.

If you need one,  let me know & I can send you one.

Thanks Jim! That is an excellent idea. I will look around, I should have more than one...

If not I will let you know