IGNORED

How do you get this off? Or does it come off?

Fast Cletus

Nissan calls it a side rod, but most people call them a tie rod end. The section that was under the ball joint is the steering arm. If you don't have a tie rod puller, you can use two large hammers or a large metal block and a hammer. Its generally easier to nog them apart with the steering arm still mounted, but with two hammers, one as a block to absorb the force, it should come apart easy.

Edited by EuroDat

IIRC, the bolt on the tie rod end is a taper fit into the steering arm.  If you're not replacing the tie rods, put the nut back onto the thread before you whack on it.  And... no, there is no bushing missing.  The grease boot on the tie rod end usually expands to fill the gap.

Edited by jfa.series1

I think you might want to get a tie-rod fork (a.k.a. pickle fork) from Autozone, Advance Auto, or whoever to separate it. They loan out these tools and you need just to return them within 30 days for a full refund of the deposit.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Powerbuilt-Tie-Rod-Ball-Joint-Separator-648468/204505272?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|G|0|G-BASE-PLA-D25T-HandTools|&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_5_QBRC9ARIsADVww153tZZuaYVzwUjeTD87h7OVzBB9gakynvGAtcEwbrHDdULQWLN0hYsaAlwgEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CIGI0PLzudcCFQK7Twodco0HGg

Edited by Jeff Berk
add web page

3 hours ago, Jeff Berk said:

I think you might want to get a tie-rod fork (a.k.a. pickle fork) from Autozone, Advance Auto, or whoever to separate it. They loan out these tools and you need just to return them within 30 days for a full refund of the deposit.

Yes do this.(pickle fork) In fact I would put the ball joint back on the car snug the bolts and beat away. The preferred method that everyone but me seems to get away with is a few taps on the tie rod end and it pops off. Not me!

I had one so stuck I ruined the fork! Granted it was a harbor freight model. 

• Like 1

If I remember correctly one nut is reverse thread, so I believe I remember it as "right is right, left is wrong" so the driver's side is reverse threaded.  My advice on popping them loose is jack the car up and put another small jack under the ball joint bracket to make the tie rod level without any pressure on it.  Mine popped right off after I did that.  If that's what he's talking about? :huh:

Having just finished this operation on a 280, I can state that all the threads are conventional.

And, it's a matter of taste I suppose, but many think the lever type of tapered pin joint removal is superior to the old pickle fork. Harbor Freight has a serviceable version of this tool also.

Isn't the inside of the left tie rod a reverse thread?

I've used the pickle fork, air pickle fork and hammers for years. They eventually work but sometimes it isn't fast or easy. I spent an almost an hour trying to separate a tie rod end on my AAR. I even brought out the BFH but had no luck. I bought the kit below from Harbor Freight and in less than a minute I had it off! It was quick and effortless.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/steering/5-piece-front-end-service-tool-set-62789.html

Chuck