IGNORED

Dilemma 240z orange

Fast Cletus

I have an issue that I am wrestling with. I have a new to me one owner 73 240z. The color of the car is orange interior and cocoa outside. The car has significant sun damage so basically all plastic parts interior are broken or will break if you breathe hard on them.

My goal is to clean the car up and sell it next year. In going to replace the plastics interior the only choices are black.

My question to the group is, does the value of car change if I replace everything that’s plastic orange with black plastic?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Most people call the interior color "butterscotch". This thread may be of some use: 

If you have really deep pockets, this product may help you some, too: https://zcarsource.com/interior-set-w-carpet-vinyl-seat-upholstery-trim-240z-1-71-73-butterscotch-new

Edited by SteveJ
New link for 73.
  • Like 1

SEM makes some wonderful vinyl dyes that let you change your plastic and vinyl color to the original stock color if you feel that's important. Originality only really matters when everything is truely original, not restored in any way. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zKars said:

SEM makes some wonderful vinyl dyes that let you change your plastic and vinyl color to the original stock color if you feel that's important. Originality only really matters when everything is truely original, not restored in any way. 

There is a specialty paint supplier based in Toronto -- Parasol Paints ( www.parasolinc.com ) -- who will custom-mix vinyl paint ('dye') to order, based on a material sample or paint chip supplied by the customer. One-week turnaround.  I sent them a swatch from the butterscotch seat covers I bought from Banzai Motorworks and found that their color-matching was spot on. 

This stuff is not what I would call a dye (to me, a dye is something that soaks into a porous surface).  Instead, it's some kind of plasticized paint that creates a flexible colored skin that bonds to the substrate.  From the can, it has the consistency of water, so its sprays very nicely with an HVLP gun.  It begins to set up about 30 minutes after application and is essentially ready for use after 24 hours.  It bonds very nicely to both hard plastic and soft vinyl, and -- as others have noted for SEM's rattle-can products -- it's remarkably durable.  I've observed no tendency whatsoever for it to lift or peel off.  The only application I might be a little hesitant about would be the seats, just because they're subjected to so much stretching and abrasion. 

Here's a picture of a sample of the paint after curing (I did a test shot on a shiny surface where I knew there wouldn't be a good bond).  This was after two or three coats, IIRC.  As you can see, the paint is stretchy and very skin-like...

x102_2265.JPG

The prep steps are the same as for the SEM products and are well-described on the Parasol website.  Different prep chemicals are used for hard plastic vs. soft vinyl, but the same paint is used ('VaraKolor').  The main challenge in the prep is getting all of the ArmorAll-type silicone off the surfaces.  The diamond-textured soft vinyl used on the Z is a challenge because it's hard to get all the silicone out of the grooves in the crosshatching.

Here are some of the panels and covers after re-installation in my '70 Z.  Apologies for indifferent focus (cheap, garage camera).  The color register may be a little off, too (varies, depending on whether I'm using the flash or not). 

BTW, all of the panels and vinyls were originally black...

102_5730.JPG...

x

• Like 1