IGNORED

Ah come on! Another one? Enough Already. Oh Fine.

zKars

2 hours ago, JSM said:

Dang your dedicated!  What is it, 16 degrees and snow on the ground?  Man that is cold!

When you're raised in this climate, it's just another day in the frozen north. It was high 80's low 90's most of the summer, unusually hot but I didn't mind.

My shop is heated. There is very little suffering going on here.  And there is a certain joy in having infinite drift capable tarmac at your finger tips to make what suffering there is all worth it.

• Like 2

Just a quick note about what's happening at Auto Parts stores, at least in these parts.

While out enjoying a good slide in the Ford truck today (shopping too), I stopped into Parts Source (wholly owned by Canadian Tire) to pick up some 3/4 heater hose for the above aforementioned under-performing (and sealing) hose. Guess what? They don't stock heater hose any more. Yes that's right.  When I enquired why, the confused partsman mumbled something about "there are so many hose types now they are afraid of selling the wrong kind to a customer"...  What a load of BS. If there is no demand, fine, I get you're a business, but really? 

I had a similar experience with them and muffler hangers. They only carry a single type of generic hanger, and it wasn't the type I like. They do have the usual section of change it yourself stuff, but be forewarned, support for the older cars and their independant maintainers (us) is going nowhere good.

So I've written them off the list for good and told them as much. Auto Value still sells heater hose and continues to be my choice in Alberta. LordCo in BC also continues to supply the right stuff. 

End Rant

Summit Racing, Jegs, Amazon, RockAuto, Courtesy Nissan, Z specialty vendors.

About the only times I go into parts stores anymore are for fluids, batteries, fuses, and wiper blades. I did get a throwout bearing from O'Reillys in February, though. Every rule needs an exception. It just means I have to plan out my work better.

7 hours ago, zKars said:

Just a quick note about what's happening at Auto Parts stores, at least in these parts.

While out enjoying a good slide in the Ford truck today (shopping too), I stopped into Parts Source (wholly owned by Canadian Tire) to pick up some 3/4 heater hose for the above aforementioned under-performing (and sealing) hose. Guess what? They don't stock heater hose any more. Yes that's right.  When I enquired why, the confused partsman mumbled something about "there are so many hose types now they are afraid of selling the wrong kind to a customer"...  What a load of BS. If there is no demand, fine, I get you're a business, but really? 

I had a similar experience with them and muffler hangers. They only carry a single type of generic hanger, and it wasn't the type I like. They do have the usual section of change it yourself stuff, but be forewarned, support for the older cars and their independant maintainers (us) is going nowhere good.

So I've written them off the list for good and told them as much. Auto Value still sells heater hose and continues to be my choice in Alberta. LordCo in BC also continues to supply the right stuff. 

End Rant

Welcome to the grumpy old man club! :)

You Hoser! You!!

bobanddoug1.jpg

Edited by 240260280
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Some progress with wiring and seating today. Also got the front brakes working well.

Speaking of brakes, seems I have some original stuff up front. 

IMG_1498.JPG

I know the slotted rotors (the old way!) have been discussed before, but check out these dust backing plates!! Don't remember seeing these before.

Look Ma, I'z got air flow cooling race parts on ma Datsun!

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1500.JPG

One seat in. The old ones were mounted unsafely. They used the stock rails, but the rear adapter "bar" to convert the seat spacing to car mount point spacing was two layers of maybe 20 gauge tin. Way too soft and flexible. 

IMG_1515.JPG

The underdash wiring is a bit of a mess. 

The PO's added the usual assortment of goodies.

There is a fog light switch in the blank hole above the hazard toggle. It was getting power from wire soldered into the fuse box.

there were other power wires for who knows what soldered in as well. At least the fuse box is not melted at #3 right position. The  plug ends are good with the usual exception of the high current white terminals. They were either totally burned or spliced and missing. Easy fix.

IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1518.JPG

Edited by zKars

Since the dash was changed there were several questionable things done to the wiring from the dash to other components. The tach was wired with new wire to the coil, but it didn't work. Well, it pegged out when you turn the power on. They scavenged a tach harness plug (likely from the original dash! Bastards!) and used it to wire the tach "their way" to the coil. I was able to re-attach the tack to the stock dash harness plug. 

Several other combo switch and area wires were left dangling open, with duct tape lovingly wrapped around each one "just in case". Flashers, washer pump, and one of the brake switch wires was cut clean off. Others had wire spliced into them mid run. The turn signal switch had a new connector spliced on. Need I say that all splices were merely twisted and wrapped with electrical tape? I have that all opened up and under repair.

• Like 1