IGNORED

32K mile 1976 280Z Original - Survivor

cygnusx1

I noticed some people on BAT commenting about the sill plates not having "Datsun" in the middle.  My 1/76 build car does not have Datsun on the sill plates.  It's been painted once, poorly, but everything else about the car says it's original.  Maybe they don't know what they're talking about.

image.png

The answer is as follows:  Nissan stopped using the "DATSUN" sill plate or scuff plates somewhere between 1/76 - 2/76.  Nissan parts microfiche confirms this with part numbers and notes.  As with most line production changes, they probably don't have a clear cut exact date, so there were probably a handful of cars that crossed the line by a few days during the change over. I bet your car was a late 1/76 car.  The newer plates required two additional holes in the sill.  If you take them off, you may be able to tell if two of the holes were drilled differently during the installation.  If they were upgraded at a later date, you may see a different drilling.

It didn't meet my reserve on BAT.  Lazy Tuesday afternoon bidders only reached $15.5K, but I got off-line offers of significantly more than that. I almost let it go for less than I want, but I decided to aim and shoot again.  What's it worth?  I don't know yet.

For sale again here:
https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/datsun/280z/2029317.html

How is this 76 worth $20,500 more? Color?

The color would not demand that much of a difference although it can impact price but not that much of a gap unless it was a extremely rare color which doesn’t apply to the Z market.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-datsun-280z-3/

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

The high bidder on my Auction bid an equivalent condition and mileage late 74 260Z up to $45.5K, but only $15.5K on mine.  I asked why?  He said because there was nobody really bidding against him, dings in the body, and the suspension.  Fair enough.  Not sure about the suspension comment.  Maybe the lack of cleanliness of the struts and control arms?  But seriously?   A $30K difference?  Something is fishy over at BAT.

Edited by cygnusx1
  • Like 1