IGNORED

Looking for some nice 15x7 wheels for my 1972 240z, any recommendations?

jalexquijano

I just went through this. I literally spent around 12-15 hours looking for 15x7 wheels to go with my 205/60/R15 tires in the OEM 280z 4x114.3 bolt pattern with 0 offset. There is NOTHING! The options are limited if you don't want to spend $4,000 for something custom or some re-manufactured old classics.

There are 3 easy to find choices - konig/enkei/rota - but they all look pretty similar to me and I didn't like any of them. There are also plain 'ole steelie wheels which are "ok" but a little boring for me.

I like the XXR 557 wheels (they make 15x8 with 0 offset) but an 8" wheel is too wide for me with 205mm tires. What I ended up doing was ordering XXR 557's in 15x7 with +15mm offset and getting a 25mm (1") wheel spacer to make them fit. This should have the tires stick out 10mm more than normal, which is not enough to need flares and IMHO fits the car a little better since the wheels at 0 offset are really sucked in/narrow to me.

So you could go this route and look for a wheel with some positive offset and then use a wheel spacer to make that positive offset go back to 0 (or close to it) so that it will fit. This will open up your choices a bit. A lot of wheels are made with 38mm positive offset, but they make 38mm wheel spacers as well. Of course, you have to be open to the idea of wheel spacers...

I can give a pic this weekend. I just got the tires mounted this week so this is all I have for now:

0xp9ZeL.jpg?1

Make sure you can find suitable 15" tires before getting wheels.  The selection of 15" tires is small while there are many choices in 16".  Konig Rewinds in 16X7 are popular, have the zero offset perfect for Z's.  Keep in mind the OE tires had a 24.75" diameter - try to find a tire with similar diameter to avoid speedometer error.

• Like 1