IGNORED

Speed Odometer Reset

joe newsom

What if cars maintenance was recorded like airplanes?  That be a pain. LOL

TSOH (Time Since Over Haul)

Time Since Over Haul is the number of flight hours since an Overhaul was performed.

TBO or TBOH (Time Between Over Haul)

Time Between Overhauls, an engine manufacturer’s recommended overhaul interval in hours, a rough and not guaranteed guide to life expectancy of an engine before it will need overhaul.

SMOH or TSMOH (Since Major Over Haul)

Since the overhaul process requires the engine to be taken apart, it is typically an expensive process. The value of a used engine decreases if it is close to requiring an overhaul, so used engines (and aircraft) typically list their time since overhaul or TSOH.

STOH (Since Top Over Haul)

Top overhaul is a term used by the general aviation industry when all the cylinders on the engine are overhauled or replaced with new, possibly due to corrosion.

TTSN, TSN, TT (Total Time Since New) or AFTT (Air Frame Total Time)

Total Time Since New is usually an airframe time reference for the total number of flight hours on a used aircraft.

TTAF/E (Total Time Air Frame/Engine)

Total Time Airframe and Engine(s) is usually an airframe time reference for the total number of flight hours on a used aircraft.

SFRM or SFRMN (Since Factory Re-Manufactured)

References to the time since the engines were remanufactured.

In California, mileage is recorded on the title every time ownership changes.  If the odometer is replaced, it has to either be set to match original mileage or "zeroed".  If zeroed, a form is supposed to be attached to the driver's door area indicating actual mileage at time of change and date new odometer was installed.  I've never seen that.  

When my '70 Porsche was restored a new speedo/odo was installed at zero miles, but no form indicating previous mileage reading.

Dennis

Edited by psdenno

7 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

I consider that a more philosophically complicated question. You're essentially saying "Everything in the car is new with zero miles on it except the odometer. With that in mind, should the odometer read the old original mileage, or can that be changed to zero miles as well?"

I think the answer is "No, it should not be changed and it should reflect original mileage".

I agree completely.

In the case of the 240z that I own, the ODO that came with car read 37,000 miles, it wasn`t installed in the car but came in a cardboard box with all the other stuff. So I don`t know if that is 37,000, 137,000 or 237,000 miles, actually I don`t even know if it came from the same car I bought, I really have no proof. Since I was doing an engine swap the original speedo/ODO couldn't be used so I replaced it with a new unit from Speedhut so I started from 0000 again.  But on my transfer of ownership papers it says the car has 37,000 miles even though there is absolutely nothing left on the car that has that mileage.  I keep log books for my cars and bikes that documents when and what is done to them so I can keep track of maintenance, major changes and so the next owner has some reference.