IGNORED

Clutch help in 71 with 5 speed please.

timsz

I just remembered something that I'd read in the past about Fidanza flywheels - some of them are thinner than the stock flywheel, apparently  So they'd need a taller collar and the 92mm number might not be enough.  If you have the factory flywheel you'd have enough to figure it out.

Yes ,the steel rule is sitting on top of the fingers. The steel rule seemed to sit a lot leveler ( is that a word ? )  on the fingers. I have the other flywheel. I'll check it out. I'll try the MC and the slave cylinder also.

Is that dimension supposed to be measured with the pressure plate bolted to a flywheel and a clutch disk in place? Or is it sitting free on the table (like the yellow one in TimZ's pic)?

The reason I ask is...That dimension would be different if the pressure plate springs are compressed squeezing the clutch disk, right? I think that measurement would be greater laying loose as opposed to bolted in place.

Not sure how much different it would be, but Diseazd's pic shows a measurement "as installed on a flywheel with a clutch in place."

I forgot to mention that when it's not running it goes into all gears.

The measurement is 3 5/8 in. - which is 92.075 mm.
100_0532.thumb.JPG.c53ca3466696c5b1c6943f3082d7925c.JPG

Ok since i just went thru a similar issue i can tell you if it only shifts when off (when your flywheel isnt spinning) then your collar/ sleeve is too short...its not reaching the pressure plate to disengage the clutch to allow you to shift freely.
There are several lengths of collars...it looks like you have the shorter 240z collar which works with the 4 speed and adjustable slave cyl. But you have a late model ZX 5 speed...so you need a longer collar to reach your pressure plate.
Look at what the previous ower had in my Z . the correct metal collar is on the left..the incorrect plastic one was what i found in my car when it melted...20170801_111704.jpg

Sent from my LGMS210 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

It doesn't matter which tranny you have.....early 4 speed, early 5 speed or 280ZX tranny. They all have the exact same dimensions. The only thing you have to be concerned with is the clutch pressure plate that you use. If you use a 240Z pressure plate, use the 240Z collar.....If you use the 280Z or ZX pressure plate, use the 280Z or ZX collar. If you have a 240 mm flywheel, you'll have to use the 2+2 (turbo) collar. It's that simple.....tranny doesn't matter....clutch pressure plate determines the collar you use.

• Like 1

I don't understand what the diameter has to do with it. My flywheel is 12 inches total diameter, counting gear ring. Now what ? Should I use the turbo collar ? The turbo collar is shorter ( 34.55mm ) than the ZX collar. Is that right ? Should the collar be shorter or longer ? Thank you

Edited by timsz
Addition

3 hours ago, timsz said:

Should I use the turbo collar ?

We already said that your measurements look right.  Confirm that the hydraulics do what they're supposed to do.  Measure the distance that the slave cylinder extends out of its bore when the pedal is pushed.  Hydraulics can fool a person.

Let me throw out a layman's thoughts.
Sounds like your pressure plate isn't releasing all of the way from the flywheel. When you push the pedal down and move the shift lever into gear do you get a grinding noise.
These systems are pretty basic. Movement of the clutch petal causes the clutch master to move the slave cylinder. Etc.
first make sure you use the collar that matches the clutch pressure plate you ordered. I.e. A 240 collar for a 240z pressure plate etc

Bleed the master cylinder and slave to remove all the air.
Turn the adjustment rod to make it longer.
Put the car in gear and push the clutch down. Start the engine. Does the car try to move? Or are the wheels turning if on jack stands? If so adjust the rod longer.
Keep going until you know the clutch has released.
Try each gear before releasing the clutch.
If everything is good let the clutch out slowly to see if the gears engage
If so you are close. Do small adjustments to get the pedal to engage where you like it.
If you run out of adjustment the you have a mechanical issue.
Wrong pressure plate or wrong collar, broken bent incorrectly installed clutch fork, bad master or bad slave
Sorry if I am repeatting what others have said. It how I would go about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile