IGNORED

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

duffymahoney

Time to replace that stock exhaust manifold with headers.

Pictures of your Air Conditioning compressor bring back memories.   My dealer installed AC was a $600 option and it never worked worth a $^!#.   Dealer tried different changes over first 18 months and none ever worked in the Florida heat.    I drove to California in 1974 during gas crisis for 6-month assignment at Edwards Air Force Base in Mojave Desert ........ the AC was useless.   I ripped out the entire system but kept the AC compressor and brought it back to Florida.   It is resting n my attic for last 40+ years.    In those days the AC Compressor had one use ........ a boat anchor.

2 hours ago, kinfish said:

Time to replace that stock exhaust manifold with headers.

Pictures of your Air Conditioning compressor bring back memories.   My dealer installed AC was a $600 option and it never worked worth a $^!#.   Dealer tried different changes over first 18 months and none ever worked in the Florida heat.    I drove to California in 1974 during gas crisis for 6-month assignment at Edwards Air Force Base in Mojave Desert ........ the AC was useless.   I ripped out the entire system but kept the AC compressor and brought it back to Florida.   It is resting n my attic for last 40+ years.    In those days the AC Compressor had one use ........ a boat anchor.

It is gigantic! I would like the option of AC, I might look into the zx ac bracket and pump and upgrade my system.  If I can use most of the parts.  

5 hours ago, siteunseen said:

That looks really good.  What did you do for the 5/8s on top of the tank, the 180 degree bend?  I lucked out and got all my stuff from O'Reilly's.

Evap tank or gas tank?  I assume you are talking about the gas tank, I will either use a stainless rod bent, or a spring, I haven't decided yet, tank should be done and back this week.  

• Like 1

Got the drive lines back today from having u joints pressed in.  They came out pretty good, paint/ powder had some nicks from their press, so I had to do some touch up paint.  The tech didn't like the powder on the end of the flanges.  He said the powder will eventually wear down and cause slop.  Anyone heard of this?  Or think he is correct?  

20171023_234723991_iOS.jpg

Edited by duffymahoney

When you say "powder on the end of the flanges"...  If what you mean is that you have powder coating on the mating surfaces of the flanges where the driveshaft mates to the differential, or where the axles bolt at either end, then I agree with your tech.

I think there should be a hard, predictable, metal to metal contact there, and I worry that powder coating on those surfaces can extrude and squish out from between the two faces. Especially once things get hot and the coating softens from the heat. If that happens, you will end up with loose connections and it will snowball from there and probably result in snapped bolts.

Might just be me, but I'd razor scrape off any paint on the mating surfaces and just apply a very thin coat of oil instead.

8 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

When you say "powder on the end of the flanges"...  If what you mean is that you have powder coating on the mating surfaces of the flanges where the driveshaft mates to the differential, or where the axles bolt at either end, then I agree with your tech.

I think there should be a hard, predictable, metal to metal contact there, and I worry that powder coating on those surfaces can extrude and squish out from between the two faces. Especially once things get hot and the coating softens from the heat. If that happens, you will end up with loose connections and it will snowball from there and probably result in snapped bolts.

Might just be me, but I'd razor scrape off any paint on the mating surfaces and just apply a very thin coat of oil instead.

Yeah he wants the mating surfaces to be metal on metal. Only thing that has me arguing is the fact that the rear end had paint on the surface from the factory. On each side of the rear end. 

Yeah, I'd want metal to metal.

I'm no coatings expert, but most powder coatings I've messed with are much thicker than a coat of traditional solvent based spray. I'm thinking that one thin coat of traditional paint isn't nearly as problematic as a thick powder coat. Also, I believe powder coating is actually a thermoplastic coating (polyester?) melted into place. Reheat it and it melts again.