IGNORED

HLS30 04575

JLPurcell

Went through the ignition system this evening. I did get spark at the points, but not plugs. I will replace the coil, condenser, points and plug wires, that should get the ignition system working well. I did drain the fuel from the tank and ran a couple of gallons of gas through the tank did not get any rust, but I am not taking that to the bank. I took a few minutes to clean up one of the original early "D" caps. They all should turn out the same. I believe they were probably on the car for one set of tires and came off when the "Mario Andretti" punch outs were installed. The caps are absent of any curb rash, dings or dents. 

IMG_2004.JPGIMG_2002.JPGIMG_2003.JPG

Edited by JLPurcell
  • Like 2

On 7/25/2017 at 9:29 PM, JLPurcell said:

Went through the ignition system this evening. I did get spark at the points, but not plugs. I will replace the coil, condenser, points and plug wires, that should get the ignition system working well. I did drain the fuel from the tank and ran a couple of gallons of gas through the tank did not get any rust, but I am not taking that to the bank. I took a few minutes to clean up one of the original early "D" caps. They all should turn out the same. I believe they were probably on the car for one set of tires and came off when the "Mario Andretti" punch outs were installed. The caps are absent of any curb rash, dings or dents. 

Make sure you check the 3/16" return line. Mine was clogged beyond all reason!

Those hubcaps sure turned out pretty!

Those wheel covers came out great!  Since you mentioned at the top of this thread you were unsure about the direction of the restoration and questioning if this was the project for you at this time, have you had anymore thoughts on it?  Seems like you are getting some small wins between the ignition system, wheel covers, and other projects you are doing.  I looked at the eBay listing again and I can see you have a long road ahead of you from a body stand point.  The car does have a lot going for it but is in need of a lot as well.

• 2 months later...

A short note on this project. I have decided that this project is not one I want to take on at this time for a number of reasons. I will update the post on the car as it sits in the near future. I hate to see these low number Z’s parted out so I will first offer it to members who have the intention of restoration. I am willing to take a loss on the project if a member is serious about restoring this car. Contact me if interested.

Thanks Jerry

Edited by JLPurcell

• 1 month later...
On 10/2/2017 at 11:53 AM, JLPurcell said:

A short note on this project. I have decided that this project is not one I want to take on at this time for a number of reasons. I will update the post on the car as it sits in the near future. I hate to see these low number Z’s parted out so I will first offer it to members who have the intention of restoration. I am willing to take a loss on the project if a member is serious about restoring this car. Contact me if interested.

Thanks Jerry

4574 has been sold and picked up by a member of the site. He has full intention of restoration. I took a loss on the car in order to help the member justify the restoration. I hope we get to see the progress as it is restored, but that will be up to the member.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JSM said:

Hopefully you kept those hub caps. ;)

NO, that is a integral part of being able to afford to properly restore the car. I can tell you that it would have been more lucrative if I have parted out the car, but I believe that we have to save these cars! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2