IGNORED

HLS30 04575

JLPurcell

This Z seems to have the throttle control still intact. The lever is still present on the console and the cable is still attached to the gas pedal assembly. The original owner reports that it came that way, he did not add the system back. Interesting. 

IMG_2001.JPG

Z throttle 2.JPG

z throttle 1.JPG

Edited by JLPurcell

Yeah. Maybe consider not fully re-attaching that. Honestly, that thing was a seriously bad idea (from a safety point of view). 

having said that, now I want to go get the rest of one of those assemblies and hook it up on my car just to see how it works. I have the lever assembly, but not the cable assembly.

Cool, My car had both the bracket and connector on the gas pedal. I found the lever and cable on Ebay. I have always had my hooked up since I finished the refresh on it. It is way too cool to remove. Not sure how it is unsafe? 

Cool, My car had both the bracket and connector on the gas pedal. I found the lever and cable on Ebay. I have always had my hooked up since I finished the refresh on it. It is way too cool to remove. Not sure how it is unsafe? 

The bracket and notch at the top of tne pedal came on all cars until the center console was redesigned. They were two verisons of the bracket, an earlet and later version. I posted pictures of the two in another thread years ago. The plastic grommet will usually still be attached tat the top of the pedal if the handthrottle was previously instelled. That is was what I found on all four of my early cars which indicated they came with handthrottles but they had been removed.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

Since first going to take a look at 4575 I assume a few of things one of which was that the engine would be stuck after 34 years of sitting. Last night I had to cut the rear brake drums off with a grinder and sawzall. Tonight, out of curiosity, dropped a battery in it to check out the electrics. The radio works, clock no, lights yes, but the one original headlamp burned out immediately. I decided to try and turn over the engine, first just a hard click of the starter. I was surprised that the starter tried to engage at all, but then the engine began to turn over and build oil pressure. I changed the oil and filter and it is turning over freely. I will try and get a compression check later this week. Not that that matters the engine and carbs will need to be gone through, but I am pleasantly surprised that the engine is free after all of these years.  

21 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

You turned it over completely dry, no oil squirts in the plug holes?  Ouch.  There's still time.  Don't forget the valve train.

No, One of the first things I did when I got the car home was to remove the plugs and put some penetrating lubricant in the cylinders. I did not lube the valve train prior, but now I will do a quick valve adj, and check the compression. I had mentioned this in the original post about this car.  

Edited by JLPurcell

Missed that one.  How many miles on the engine?  I wonder if it's one of those "ran when parked" cars.

Is penetrating lubricant really lubricant?  And how much oil gets thrown up from the crankshaft at cranking speeds?  Does it even reach the swept area?  Just being tribological.  It would be pretty cool if it cranked up and ran well after 34 years.

You need to add a car to your sig now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Missed that one.  How many miles on the engine?  I wonder if it's one of those "ran when parked" cars.

Is penetrating lubricant really lubricant?  And how much oil gets thrown up from the crankshaft at cranking speeds?  Does it even reach the swept area?  Just being tribological.  It would be pretty cool if it cranked up and ran well after 34 years.

You need to add a car to your sig now.

The owner indicates that the 59,000 miles on the odometer is accurate. I will have to take his word for it, there is no supporting documentation, but he has no reason to mislead anyone on that claim. Yes, it ran when parked. As to is "penetrating" lubricant really lubricant, how deep do you want to go into that subject?B)

1 hour ago, JLPurcell said:

As to is "penetrating" lubricant really lubricant, how deep do you want to go into that subject?B)

Not much past the surface....

You should just blow the dust off, get it restarted and running, and make it a time capsule car.  There's a bunch of restored cars out there already.

Had a little time this evening to do a few checks on the engine. Completed a quick valve adjustment "cold" the exhaust were fine the intakes were tight. Once the adjustment was complete I did a compression test. 150#, 160#, 160#, 80#, 160#, 120#. Not bad for an engine that has not turned over for 34 years. I believe that I might have stuck rings on #4 cylinder. I will continue to soak the cylinders and do a leak down test at a later date. Overall pleased with the results. I tried to check the timing and dwell and found that I have no power to the distributor. I will do some checking of the ignition system when I have a little more time. JLP