IGNORED

Better Headlights Details

ramsesosirus

grannyknot et al:

FYI, here is a copy/paste extracted from a Stern response (October, 2012):

" 1) Recommended wiring harness and relays - with instructions

Can use a relay kit RIK-2, $49. The RIK is not a harness, but a _parts kit_ containing all relays, brackets, terminal blocks, terminals, plugs, sockets, fuses and fuseholders. You supply your own wire (or your mechanic does) and use the parts from the kit to build up your own wiring harness to take the workload off the switches and bring full power to the lamps. Specific instructions are provided, and the concept is explained at http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html . Parts are specially made premium-grade items (e.g. ceramic headlamp sockets) that accept large-gauge wire; this is not the "consumer grade" junk you can find at the parts store.

Or, I can have my harness builder custom build you a ready-to-install harness assembly using the same components. Cost for this option is $143 (including parts and labour - you pick _either_ one relay kit _or_ one custom-built harness to do the entire job. It costs more than the $40 to $90 cheapy prefab harnesses because it is not a cheapy prefab harness). Installation is simple: you run the marked wires to battery positive and to battery negative, snap the harness plug onto one of the vehicle's original headlamp sockets, snap the harness sockets onto the headlamps, and secure the cable runs and relays neatly out of harm's way.

The in-car switches continue working normally, and you will not need to cut or otherwise disturb any of the vehicle's original wires.

> 2) Two Cibie 7" H4

The Cibie headlamps are available either plain ($77.95/ea) or for $1 more with a built-in parking lamp ($78.95/ea). This is a small 5w bulb ($4.24/ea) that sticks through the lamp's reflector into the lamp itself, a couple of inches away from the main headlight bulb, via a socket and grommet. "City light" is a common casual term for this. The official European/international term is "front position lamp". North American terminology calls them "parking lamps". It is _only_ a parking lamp, not capable of producing an effective or legal daytime running light or turn signal function no matter what bulb is installed. Electrical connection is by two standard 1/4" spade terminals. Ground one, and run the other to the vehicle's parking lamp feed. The city light illuminates the whole headlamp in a "pilot light" sort of fashion; this makes for large-area parking lamps, and if a headlight bulb ever burns out, oncoming traffic still sees you as a double-track vehicle. Outside North America, parking lamps must emit white light, the North American style amber ones are not allowed. In North America, parking lamps may emit white or amber light, and these white ones built into the headlamp are a legal form of parking lamp in the USA and Canada.

> 3) Two quality bulbs (moderate watts)

Osram 70/65w, $22/ea."

For what it's worth, I purchased/installed the Osram 70/65w bulbs, and they're more than adequate even for irresponsible night time driving.

Thanks for the replies.  Lots of good info.  Would these kits below hook up to the stock harness?  Is the harness below good, plug and play?  Opinions on the kits I listed that I was looking at?  Some of the kits I see (the Autopal's?) have a "holographic" look to the glass, I want it to be as clear and colorless as possible.  Do I have to make the headlight mounting bracket bigger?

headlights 1.png

headlights 2.png

headlights 3.png

Re: Daniel Stern -- he has a reputation for being eccentric. You either take his recommendation or he shuts off the conversation. Many satisfied customers and many perplexed by his "customer service". If you can work with him, things generally produce the desired results. Google shows this time and again.

The light and wiring kits would seem usable. The wiring kit looks to have the plugs and relays you'd need, with the understanding that these things are generally "universal fit". Hella is regarded better than Autopal for optical quality, pattern, cutoff, etc. and that's what matters most, but Cibie still seems the tops by comparison. Unfortunately their prices are at the top also. Any replacement will likely be an improvement over old, stock bulbs, so it really matters how much you drive at night, require brighter light (older eyes), and can afford to spend. Google specific products when you have things narrowed down, just for backup information.

Edited by NVZEE
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I went ahead and ordered a set on ebay of the autopal housings (with some assuming crap bulbs).  They are e code.  I plan to get other bulbs.  I also ordered that wiring harness.  There is a guy in my city that used to build Datsuns for Nissan, and he has a few shells and lots of parts.  

I got my engine from him.  I plan to see if he has an OEM 280z headlight harness, so I can use the connector piece.  Is this the one I should connect the new harness to?

The one on the front radiator support?  I can post a pic of the new harness when I get it, to see which wire goes to what on the connector.

My eyes are not as great at night as they once were.  

And the Z is older than me, so I can only imagine how that would be.

Whoa that rhymed.  Maybe I should be the first white rapper, hmmm my stage name can be Zagnut.  Yessss.   

• Like 1