IGNORED

Radio for 240Z that plays MP3's from flash drive?

Stanley

Below is my post on the HybridZ Forum re my stereo install and shows a pair of ABS panels that I fabricated to hold the two speakers that I placed under the dash in my 280Z. You have a lot more room under there in a 240Z so I'm sure you can do something similar. I added a very small amp because I'm also running rear 6x9 speakers but you could get away with only front speakers without an amp.

So even though I like the way everything is hidden I must say that I'm not totally satisfied with the sound on this set up and have purchased kick panel pods to change the location of the under dash speakers and I will be installing Polk Audio DB522 5.25"coaxials in those. I"m also going to change the amp to a much better Kenwood KAC-M3004 unit also mounted in a similar position under the carpet over the transmission tunnel toward the firewall. I'll report back when I have the new set up ready.

"Starting with the Retrosound radio which I discussed previously in this topic, the sound upgrade is complete and and I'm enjoying balanced, crisp highs and mids  from the front and side speakers with excellent bass response form the rear 6x9 Infinity speakers. It's being all pumped from a very compact Miura amplifier (80 watts x 4 channels) which we located beneath the carpeting to the right side of the console (close to the firewall) and is quite undetectable. The front speakers are McClaren Prosound 5 inch sealed basket units which are closed in the rear (not vented like usual speakers) so there's no need to add a box or enclosure making them very easy to fit in tight places. We fabricated custom panels out of 1/4 inch black ABS plastic (with similar texture to the OEM dash) into which the 2 front speakers were fixed and tucked away under each side of the dash. Although ideally high frequency sound should be directed toward the listener, in virtue of keeping everything "invisible", we had to count on the power and quality of the front under dash speakers to bounce sound off the floor. It has proven to work very well. I also decided to remove the rear speaker grills and make them less noticeable by simply covering them with black speaker fabric.

Here are a few pics to illustrate the set up:

Speakers and ABS panel:

20160202_091132.png 20160202_091026.png 20160202_090942.png 20160202_091229.png 20160202_091323.png

Driver and passenger side mocked up under the dash (before speaker grill installed):

20160107_171145.jpg DSC01737.JPG DSC01730.JPG

Amplifier location:

DSC01732.JPG DSC01734.JPG

One of two USB ports in the glove box:

DSC01754.JPG

Overview of the final install:

DSC01738.JPG DSC01731.JPG DSC01739.JPG DSC01736.JPG

• Like 1

I looked at the RetroSound a while back when I was attempting to find a solution to my lack of tunes issue.  Ultimately, I decided to go with a Bluetooth audio box from Out of Sight Audio and the kick panel speaker kits from Motorsports Auto.  This allowed me to keep my stock radio in place but, add amplified stereo bluetooth streaming from my iPhone.  The phone pairs automatically when I start the car.  Volume is controlled by the volume buttons on my phone.  Since I was able to leave the stock radio and speaker alone, I can use that if I'm sick of Pandora or my MP3 collection (most radio stations offer streaming anyway these days so, very little need to touch the radio anymore).  I have been running this setup for over a year and the only complaint I have  is with the performance of the Motorsport Auto speakers.  They tend to be on the tinny side if I am using an app on my phone that does not have graphic equalizer functionality.  This setup also works nicely as a hands free solution.  No drilling or modifications required.  Just used some good velcro to stick the Bluetooth box under the dash, run power to the battery and ignition wire.  Speaker wire runs are all under the dash as the speakers used by the bluetooth box are up front.  The company makes several models.  I opted for the 2-channel but, they also have 4-channel and options for  pre-amps.

http://www.outofsightaudio.com/?gclid=CMvH2bGPsdQCFY6FswodRUQKJw

IMG_1929.JPG

Forgot to mention that I installed the connection to the ignition wire using a relay.  Did not want this thing to draw current through my ignition wires!  Relay closes a direct connection to the battery via trigger from the ignition wire.

IMG_1930.JPG

Edited by wavemux

That is really nice!  

I use a small Bluetooth speaker with my phone now and it does pretty good for a rechargeable speaker. Now I know about your amplified audio box and being able to wire it in with the battery with mounted speakers too.

Thank you for posting, I had know idea about those but like using my phone for the source, simple while keeping my OE radio that I just put back in. I think I'd rather be hit in the head with a baseball bat than install another unit.

I was getting a plan together for putting one in the glove box but not anymore. :D

siteunseen:

Glad this helped sir!  Let me know if you go this route and have any questions.  Only change I would consider making is using better speakers than I did!  Get the kick panels from Motorsport but, I know there are better speakers out there that will fit the kick panel space than the ones offered in the Motorsport kick panel/speaker bundle.

Sam

• Like 1

Just received my series I original non working radio back after having it converted to FMR-2 system. 4 speaker 45W per channel plus " sub out "and an "aux in". Had a Blue-tooth option but didn't add it.

Had the same thing done to a Wonder Bar radio from a 62 C-1 Vette. Work great

Radio 1.JPG

radio 2.JPG

Radio Instruction 1.jpg

Radio Instruction 2.jpg

1 hour ago, 7tooZ said:

Just received my series I original non working radio back after having it converted to FMR-2 system. 4 speaker 45W per channel plus " sub out "and an "aux in". Had a Blue-tooth option but didn't add it.

Had I been lucky enough to have the original radio in my 280Z that is exactly what I would have done. Let us know how the install goes and the quality of the sound. BTW, what was the cost of conversion?

18 minutes ago, dmorales-bello said:

Had I been lucky enough to have the original radio in my 280Z that is exactly what I would have done. Let us know how the install goes and the quality of the sound. BTW, what was the cost of conversion?

I meant to ask that too Dr Dave! How many Benjamins?

With these old cars I'm thinking I might start a counterfeiting business. LOL

I paid $395.00 without the blue tooth adapter.  Same vendor did the same conversion earlier this year on a Wonder Bar radio for 62 vette.

This gives me a completely stock look with both AM/FM search and ability to attach my iPhone to play Pandora or stored music or pod casts. Or attach iPod..etc. Capable of driving four speakers without an amp. I currently have speaker kick panels with Tweeter mounted in the Air Vents for directional control. Planning to add an 8 inch amplified sub under passenger seat and two rear speakers.

IMG_4859.JPG

• Like 3