IGNORED

Radio for 240Z that plays MP3's from flash drive?

Stanley

Is there one? Saw the Retrosound at MSA site. It says it's got USB connection but doesn't say if it plays from that or needs an external player. If not is there a different one that fits the car and plays MP3's ? It also should have power antenna hook-up.

You can have your hatAchi radio converted to a non analog with 4 speaker outputs aux input and blue tooth. It will remain stock looking and auto seek tuner still operable.
I had a Corvette GM wonder bar converted in January and my series I radio is scheduled to be completed June 1.

Don's iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I have the bluetooth version of the Retrosound radio and it will play over bluetooth as well as through USB.  It does not need an external player. 

I am very happy with the performance of the Retrosound unit as well as the classic look that it provides.  Don't think you can go wrong with this.

Mike.

Like Mike W, I also opted for the Retrosound unit with Bluetooth and USB connections (it has 2 USB remote ports). I actually like the sound for the USB much better than the AM/FM tuner. Very happy with the functionality, sound and looks. I did a little custom work with the faceplate so it would look a little more like the original but I'm not finished with it yet. Also used different knobs (Blaupunkt type) to achieve a more vintage look.

DSC01801.JPG20151217_170635.png

I like what you're saying. Are those Retrosound ones from MSA or the manufacturer's site ?  What about the antenna ? The auto sound place charges $100 to install the retrosound radio and $200 to install the antenna. Don't know if that includes the antenna.  They do it all day so I'm going with that. It would probably take me a week and I've got a job. 

7tooZ, I'm not doing that but it's very cool. Maybe you'll show it off with some photos when done ?

100 bucks for the swap is cheap. The $200 charge for the antenna install must include the antenna itself. If you don't have a dedicated switch to lower and raise the antenna, the Retrosound radio has a lead to automatically raise/lower the antenna when you power the radio on/off. 

If you're OCD like me, you may want to cover the exposed plastic surfaces of your console and HVAC trim with blue masking tape so they don't get scratched by a careless audio technician (redundant perhaps). Do warn them that those old plastic bits are quite brittle and must be handled with lots of care. If any panels get scratched or cracked those 100 bucks won't seem that cheap anymore.

BTW, I purchased from Crutchfield online. Great service, better prices and choices of different knobs and finishes.

https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/retrosound_sale.html

Edited by dmorales-bello
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

What are you using for speakers ? I'd like to get away from stock speaker location, but maybe there's a small woofer that could fit there. I'm thinking under the dash, one on each side. Not trying for anything super loud, just loud enough.