IGNORED

When and Where did You get yours?

esmit208

I  went skiing with friends in spring 85 an saw the 72 on the side of the road for sale for 6000. It was the first i have ever seen (43 where sold in switzerland). The WE later it was mine with a bankloan (first and last) on my back. Payd it back, took it apart putt all parts in a garage and restored it 27 years later finished last year. Drive it now every day and fell back in love with it.

• Like 2

In 2007 I had my first baby on the way. Wife and I just bought our first home togehter and it was ripe with a 3 car garage just waiting for me to fill it. My lovely pregnant wife said, if you are going to get  project car, NOW is the time.  That is all it took. I had been looking for a while and found one on an internet Z car club classifieds in North Carolina.  I flew up their and met a nice man named Mark.  He was into Datsuns and he had the silver 71 looking ready to sell when I got their.  To this day I recall seeing that garage door open up with the Z looking out (Mark had a flare for the dramatic). I got to drive that that afternoon and was shocked at how well mannered the car was.  After exactly 2.1 miles in a vintage Z I handed over my check for 10,000 dollars. Been spending money on it ever since.

• Like 1

In 2014 I was back on the hunt for a nice 240z ever since I sold my lime green '72 240z several months prior.  In June I saw a Craigslist ad in Dallas for a 1971 series-1 240z.  It was the color I wanted (silver), had already had the entire suspension rebuilt and detailed along with the engine, and it was pretty much ready to be enjoyed by its new owner.  Asking price was $10,000.  Given all that was done I thought this was fair as long as it was 100% what was described and luckily my wife thought the same.  I called the seller and expressed that I want it, I am serious, and I will be there on Saturday morning which was 2 or 3 days away with cash.  The seller was Dave, owner of Dallas Car Care, and really nice to deal with and even though I offered a deposit he said one was not needed.  I told him I plan to drive it back home so I bought insurance for it, sent him a copy of my insurance card, and he inspected it and placed a sticker on it so it was legal.  

When we got there early on Saturday morning we looked it over and took it for a test drive.  On the drive I could tell the brakes were really spongy so when we got back Dave put it on the lift so we could see under it.  To my surprise 3 of the 4 flexible brake hoses were dripping brake fluid.  This was not the end of the world as it is something I could fix at my mom's house once I got the car.  We went to his office and I offered $9500 since it needed the brake hoses done and he refused stating its $10K firm as he had a line of other buyers after me.  I went back and talked about it with my wife and felt really stuck. I wanted the car but could not bring myself to pay full price and immediately have to do work to it.  I talked to Dave and offered $9500 again, put the cash on his desk and I said it would be the full $10K if he fixed the brake hoses today and I would come back.  To my surprise he turned it down so I left.

On Monday before I went and put the cash back in the bank over my lunch hour I called Dave to see if one of the other buyers purchased the car since the Craigslist ad was still up.  He told me everyone else had either made low ball offers, had some car to sell first or some other story.  I told him my offer still stands and he countered with agreeing to the $9500 and fixing the brake hoses.  So I made the trip back up the following weekend, this time just by myself as my wife had an commitment to keep.  We put the car back on the lift and I confirmed everything looked good, handed over $9500 cash, and headed home.  And like Zed above, I have been spending money on it ever since!  To be fair, I have also driven it more than any other classic/toy car I have ever owned.  In my book, more drive time and less wrench time = more fun.  Check out the links in my signature to see more about the car and other adventures with it.

Uhaul240z01.jpg

Edited by Hardway
  • Like 1

I was discharged from the Air Force in Feb. 72. I tried 3 dealership in the Cleveland area. Breyley, N. and if it wasn' Royalton. Bedford Datsun, & Mentor Datsun. Each dealership wanted $1000 down & 6 - 9 months wait and if it wasn't what you wanted, (stick, auto, color or air) you'd have to wait for the next one, In June, borrowed a car and went to a dealership in Elyria, Oh. Stang Motors and spoke with Terry Tracey. Showed him pics of the Fairlady ZG I took while on leave in Japan, late 71, plus all the literature. He took a $100 down payment and said, " I'll see what i can do." One week later hecalled and said, "got 3 in, take your pic." I chose a white stick, other two were brown, red,  auto and air. When i asked "how did you get three when each dealership was allowed one Z for 29 cars sold. He said, "we sell Datsun, Triumph, MG, and AMC, we sell more cars.

2nd Z another 72 was bought in 87, original paint, stick, with air. was stripped & repainted in late 99, finished in 2000. Found the 10/69 Fairlady Z-L early 2000, soon to be repainted.

I have only been a Z owner for 2 months. Friend of a friend has had 3 240z's in storage for about 10yrs. My friend has a 280z and one day we were discussing his car. I mentioned that I remembered my cousin had a 240z when I was in junior high. Was a 71, I think.

He say, "I know where there a 3 stored away and the owner might be interested in selling."

I didn't think much of it at the time. Went several days without any other thoughts about them. Then about a week later I started thinking harder and started to research the z and was surprised how they have been doing over years. I've always like them, but have had other restoration projects that were more to my preference.

I just kind of jumped into them thought I'd at least go look at them.

Turns out that there were two 70s and one 72. Serial numbers 4xxx, 12xxx, 69xxx.

The 4xxx and 69xxx are pretty rough, but 12xxx is a really nice car.

I'm on s new adventure now as I get 12xxx on the road.

Thanks for listening and this sight turns out to be my daily required daily reading. I'll figure out how to post pics shortly and update.

Sent from my N9132 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

It was 1991 and I didn't have much money, but there was an ad in the Sacramento paper for a 1976 280Z for $900. Seemed affordable. It had been from Nevada and well sand blasted, the alternator didn't work, and it needed fluids. I drove it home, 120 miles on the battery.

The previous owner had engine work done and two months later I swapped the motor with a used engine.

That car got me through college and was a daily driver for years until I allowed the head to crack, totally my fault.

Sat for another few years as a yard ornament till my daughter needed a car in high school. Seemed like a fun father daughter project.

Rebuilt motor, new interior, bushings, suspension, tires, stereo, etc. That became her high school car for a couple years.

She went to college and I got my car back to being a daily driver.

Good times!

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 2

I was 23 when I bought my 1972 Z for a really great price of $4144. It was the most I had ever paid for a car that is now considered a classic. The car was in perfect condition when I got it. I still have the Z today with no plans to ever sell it. I turn 69 this year.IMG_7549.JPG. Then IMG_7528.JPG. Now

Phil Smith

• Like 4

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:12 PM, David F said:

I have owned my 1972 240Z for a little over 6 weeks now (Dallas, TX Craiglist add featured on BAT) and still have not laid eyes on it.  My B-I-L did the inspection, purchase and storage for me until I finish my 1967 Airstream Caravel restoration and get up to Dallas (from Austin) to take it off his hands...can't wait.

http://bringatrailer.com/2017/03/13/stored-15-years-promising-1972-datsun-240z/

I have already purchased an early wide ratio (due to 3.54 gears) 5 speed and all the other necessary auto to manual conversion pieces.  just need to get it home....

Headed to Dallas tomorrow to pick up my Z!  Yippee.  The quote from my B-I-L:  "Hey man, come get this Z before I start restoring it".  Have to oblige.

• Like 2

2011 was the end of my starter marriage.

Time for a new toy! [I also bought a 2008 Z51 C6]

I searched craigslist for a Z within a 300 mile radius of Augusta, GA for months. I finally found one, 1973, decent looking in the photos, for $4000. It was a 2.5 hour drive up to Greenville, SC. The PO bought the car from a Datsun dealer in 1976. He said it was the longest relationship of his life. Daily driven in the 70s and 80s, locked in storage for the following two decades. He said, "I tried to sell her once before, and the guy showed up, but I had to send him away."

He handed me the keys and told me to take her for a spin. The rings were sticking from sitting so long so she was blowing plumes of smoke. We took it to a nearby shop for a compression check; steady across the board.

I was ready to hand him $4k on the spot. He decided to offer a $500 military discount AND delivered the Z 2.5 hours south back to Georgia. Every so often I think about selling her, but I've owned her for 6 years and have only logged a little over 2,000 miles. I still have some bugs to work out but I want to drive this Z for a long time.

The paint job is a 10-footer. I intend to keep it that way. More of a driver's car.

17862805_1385227368201595_943151407340173228_n.jpg

Edited by 73str86
  • Like 2

My very first car I ever owned is my 1971 240z, which I have owned for 32 years now. 

Started my restoration back in 2011 and still working on it today. Helping other 240z owners with rubber parts leaves me very little time to work and finish my car. Like this weekend I am making a batch of rubber and metal parts for owners in need.

link to some pictures of my car.

http://www.240zrubberparts.com/apps/photos

• Like 1