IGNORED

How do I rebuilt my carb

P the Z

Your car has been suffering from neglect.

Aside from the corrosion, it is also obvious that the SUs are missing the dipsticks.

The good news is there are plenty of knowledgeable people living a couple of hours west of you. Atlanta has a really good early Z community.

You'll need to get the gaskets for the carburetors. Those come in kits. You'll probably also need new hoses from the float bowls to the carburetors. You may also need new needles if someone messed with the carburetors and bent them. Get some straight 20W oil. You can probably find that at your local Ace Hardware in a 3in1 brand bottle. I have two or three of those in my garage. Hopefully you won't need floats. I can't remember if those were reproduced yet or not. Z Therapy doesn't list them in the product line.

Get the SU video from Z Therapy (http://www.ztherapy.com).

Download the factory service manual. See the link in my signature.

Ask questions.

• Like 2

Your car has been suffering from neglect.
Aside from the corrosion, it is also obvious that the SUs are missing the dipsticks.
The good news is there are plenty of knowledgeable people living a couple of hours west of you. Atlanta has a really good early Z community.
You'll need to get the gaskets for the carburetors. Those come in kits. You'll probably also need new hoses from the float bowls to the carburetors. You may also need new needles if someone messed with the carburetors and bent them. Get some straight 20W oil. You can probably find that at your local Ace Hardware in a 3in1 brand bottle. I have two or three of those in my garage. Hopefully you won't need floats. I can't remember if those were reproduced yet or not. Z Therapy doesn't list them in the product line.
Get the SU video from Z Therapy (http://www.ztherapy.com).
Download the factory service manual. See the link in my signature.
Ask questions.

Steve would it be best to buy the Ztherapy carb?

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Best depends on your specific condition.  A really great thing to do is to buy a Ztherapy redo of your carbs.  When you get them back, they will be perfect and when troubleshooting other things, you can definitely count out the carbs.  When solving car problems you are often faced with many possible causes for a specific issue.  The more can eliminate the better.  Getting the Ztherapy treatment is a great way of having a good known carburetor.  But it is not the cheapest solution.  

You car needs some TLC and much of that can be accomplished with a methodical slow approach to the problems.  I wish you luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You've got a bit of work ahead of you.  

I've seen rust on fenders, rockers, doors, radiators, control arms, etc. but this is the first time I've seen rust on an oil filter.  This tells us two things:

1.  The oil filter seal is OK

2.  We'd all like to see photos of the engine once you get it disassembled.

Edited by Richard McDonel
spelling error
  • Like 2

I would wait on spending the money on the carbs. See what exactly is missing from them, get the SU video from Ztherapy and a few parts, do a quick rebuild and see how it runs first.

If the motor is shot for reason, you be happier having the money on hand for other things. 

Heck, you might want to do a compression check before you spend a penny on anything. 

Also, pull the valve cover carefully to save the gasket to ensure the cam isn't rusted bad and pour some fresh oil all over the cam if it's not. 

Have you cranked the car? If not I would spray some light oil in the cylinders as well. Lighty turn over by hand, then crank with the battery. 

Edited by JSM
  • Like 1

Do you have the air filter enclosure?  It appears to be missing in the picture.  You'll want the air filter in place before running too much air through those carbs. 

Also, looks like the car was originally silver based on the paint in the engine compartment.  You might want to look for panel rot on the rockers, doglegs, and rear fender arches.

Dennis

• Like 1

I would wait on spending the money on the carbs. See what exactly is missing from them, get the SU video from Ztherapy and a few parts, do a quick rebuild and see how it runs first.
 If the motor is shot for reason, you be happier having the money on hand for other things. 
Heck, you might want to do a compression check before you spend a penny on anything. 
Also, pull the valve cover carefully to save the gasket to ensure the cam isn't rusted bad and pour some fresh oil all over the cam if it's not. 
Have you cranked the car? If not I would spray some light oil in the cylinders as well. Lighty turn over by hand, then crank with the battery. 

Yes the car cranks and run

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile