IGNORED

Series-1 Hatch Vent Duct Clips & Restoration Info Needed

Hardway

I picked up the clips on Friday from the manufacturing company and they look and function just as expected.  Below is the link to the thread I posted in the Garage Business forum.  The sets are a little more expensive than originally communicated due to the higher cost of the slightly thicker spring steel and tax.  At $50/set shipped in the US I think it is very reasonable.  I will post up all the work I did to install the ducts once I go through and edit the pictures.

Thank you again to Zup and everyone who contributed to this effort and making it a reality!

With the new hatch vent clips in hand I set about getting everything  back together.  I stopped by Hobby Lobby and picked up some 3mm and 7mm closed cell foam.  It is made by Silly Winks.  Using the rubber duct seal I bought from Steve I made a template of what the seal should look like.  

Foam02.jpg

Foam01.jpg

Foam03.jpg

Since I had both sizes of foam I cut out gaskets from each size.  After some initial testing I determined the thicker foam would not collapse enough to fit in the hatch opening.  Below is a comparison.

Foam04.jpg

Using some automotive contact cement I glued the rubber gasket to the duct.  The used the #10 speed nut I bought from the auto parts store as it is a 95% match to the original.

DuctSeal02.jpg

I sprayed some 3M spray adhesive to the foam gasket I made, placed it on the rubber gasket and let it set up for about 15 minutes.

DuctSeal03.jpg

I patiently worked the assembly duct back in to the hatch opening, taking care not to damage the foam gasket.  After a few minutes of fiddling, it was in.  I then secured it using the clips I had made.  The clips hold the assembly nice and tight!

06.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

Now that the severe weather has passed I am going to track down some barrel clips so I can attach the chrome plastic grilles over the vent openings.  The finish line is in sight!

• Like 2

Really nice job of pulling this together Jeff! :)

All early car restorers will be indebted to your attention to detail and the completeness of your photo documentation regarding this important aspect of the hatch.

Jim D.

"Zup"

On 4/2/2017 at 3:00 PM, Hardway said:

With the new hatch vent clips in hand I set about getting everything  back together.  I stopped by Hobby Lobby and picked up some 3mm and 7mm closed cell foam.  It is made by Silly Winks.  Using the rubber duct seal I bought from Steve I made a template of what the seal should look like.

Did you test this particular foam against water to see if it soaks it up like a sponge or repels it at all? I'd be curious to know... might have to head over to the hobby store to pick some up... 

You say the thicker stuff did not collapse enough- so 3mm-5mm would be the sweet spot?

Yes I did test it.  It repels water very well but if you submerge it in water it will soak up a little but nothing like a sponge.  You are correct, the thicker piece was too thick and would not collapse enough to get the duct work under the holes in the hatch as the sheet metal is bent downwards.  The 3mm piece was spot on as it would compress enough to allow it to be worked in to place.

Edited by Hardway

• 2 weeks later...

"That's all folks!"  The last set of clips just sold on Ebay.  I appreciate everyone that purchased a set and look forward to meeting up with those that will be picking up their sets at ZCON. 

This has been a team effort for sure and I thank everyone who was a part of it.  They say it takes a village to raise a child, it certainly takes a community to keep these old cars on the road.  If a large enough need presents itself I would consider doing another run but I feel this first run took care of a lot of folks that were needing them.

Capture.JPG

Edited by Hardway
  • Like 2