IGNORED

Exhaust Tip Length

Hardway

Thanks for all the info guys.  I cannot find the series-1 hatch flap panel restoration article at the moment but I will keep looking as I remember seeing it awhile back.  Also, based on all the pictures of original exhaust systems mine just needs to be pulled out an inch or two.  I think the sealing of everything will go a long way to helping resolve my issue.  Additionally, I am going to confirm the tail light gaskets were replaced as I am basically taking the previous owner's word for it at this point.  

I will also look at my fuel mixture again as well.  I leaned it out some last weekend and it still smelled like gas but I felt the performance suffered.  I will let everyone know how the weekend goes. 

6 hours ago, Hardway said:

I cannot find the series-1 hatch flap panel restoration article at the moment but I will keep looking as I remember seeing it awhile back. 

page 24.  And you would enjoy this photo from the same thread along with a couple of my pictures.  See the seal on the back of my panel?  That was a foam seal originally.  It decomposes.  That panel has to be sealed to the hatch for the vents to work.

Hatch Vents.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

t-l1600.jpg

Edited by 26th-Z

I will add to 26th post that this panel was my fume issue. The hatch opening for this panel needs to be sealed off . Low pressure will pull air thru this panel and pull fumes thru the hatch latch assembly. Solved 90% of my issue.
Verified or found this using a fog smoke test

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I had some to work on the Z today and sure enough, just about every seal and gasket related to the hatch vents and taillights are shot.  I am unsure if the rubber flaps might have been replaced at some point.  They look thin and are still soft.  Additionally, the ducts for the hatch vents were not even secured to the top sheet metal of the hatch.  I am going to start another thread in the body and paint section the relates to restoring all of the hatch vent system components.  Here are a few shots of today's progress.  

Flaps02.jpg

VentDucts01.jpg

Taillights01.jpg

Edited by Hardway