IGNORED

L24 Battles Six S20's. Guess who wins?

32 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Here are results of the June 6-7 1970 races from  the JAF site:

I would suggest caution advisory when using the JAF online resources. Especially English-translated sections. Lots of mistakes there.

JAF's official records are second to none, but they are not reflected in the available online content.

Oops - thanks for the lap length (s) corrections.

Not for me - te

17 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Fuji was 6.0km circuit in 1970.

1. Z production started rolling in Oct. 1969
  2. It was on the Murayama track in Nov (also previewed to world in late Oct/early Nov). 1969
  3. It's first race was Jan 17.1970

So ~3.5 months (max) from production to racing.... pretty darn good!

3.5 months is pretty darn good - you'd think that they'd planned to make a competition car.......with all those fittings inside we mortals don't use like roll-cage fittings amongst others Alan once showed me....

I don't have hair to split anymore...for me, testing is testing (a journalists' day out doesn't count) and racing is racing ie against other cars whether in the same class or not. 

So really, nothing before Jan 1970 ?

6 minutes ago, HS30-H said:

Murayama, like Oppama, Yatabe and Fukurohe, was a test track. Are we counting running on a test track as some kind of 'competition' use now?

In any case, I think you'll find that the S30-series Z was on the Oppama test course before Murayama.

See what I mean about endless hair-splitting? It might be fun for a while, but it doesn't really get resolved.

I think it is great to track all of these historical events!

The test track work in 69 helped gather data leading to the racing in Jan. so it is part of the full picture.

8 minutes ago, Sean Dezart said:

3.5 months is pretty darn good - you'd think that they'd planned to make a competition car.......with all those fittings inside we mortals don't use like roll-cage fittings amongst others Alan once showed me....

Except the Works competition department had cars well before October 1969, and had been consulting on the very fabric of the car before it went into production.

10 minutes ago, Sean Dezart said:

So really, nothing before Jan 1970 ?

Why the obsession? Are you trying to prove something to somebody somewhere?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HS30-H said:

Except the Works competition department had cars well before October 1969, and had been consulting on the very fabric of the car before it went into production.

Alan, are there details of this that are published. It sure would make a nice read!  After seeing the roll bars and the vinyl roof cover on a test car that seems to be from 67/68, they certainly had a lot going on long before the factory started production!

28 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

They had the 432R and the spoiler at the Tokyo Motor Show...plus the banked racing display so the gauntlet was being thrown ?

It is interesting they swapped out the Blue 240z for the 432R as the show progressed.

It is interesting but may only be they didn't have one immediately available - in any case, I would bet that for most of the viewing public, it didn't matter - the shape counted for the oohs and ahhs !

Nope, told you : no hair-splitting et moi....obsédé ?

This side of the water in real-time Europe, I'm writing a few mini-articles to publish on our national site to which owners, buyers and above all journalists my consult and that which we can pull off and fill up our newsletter (send to the press...and members - those whom aren't active on the forum). These are simple, short 'stories' and I merely want to get certain basic facts right.

With these articles, I'm trying to correct the journalists and therefore publics' perception of Prince, Datsun, Nissan, Katayama, The Fairlady Z, the L4-L6 myth and when it's in French, there is a better chance of the Francophones finally getting it right rather than copy and paste any Anglo-Saxon Google result.

I'd share it with the UK club but I can't see them giving much of a damn - like a punt without a pole - floating aimlessly - Jon however does a great job all on his own. You said it best once - all happy-slappy - don't upset the apple cart so ignorance is bliss and I'm no guru - I just have the willpower to try.

I really appreciate exchanges like this between several participants as the same event, fact even when viwed by different eyes invariably turns up another interesting detail or two.

Eg that blue export 240Z on the 1970 Tokyo stand has North American market turn signal repeaters on the rear wings/fenders but Euro/JDM spec rear light lenses.

How many 240Z rear light lens types were there...3x ? Rhetorical question - let's stay on-topic : when did that competition department get hold of L24s and were they already boring them for bigger ccs ?

1 hour ago, HS30-H said:

I would suggest caution advisory when using the JAF online resources. Especially English-translated sections. Lots of mistakes there.

Yes, there is a driver called "cabinet" driving a "joint oil Honda", whilst someone else is driving a "general sprinter", or how about a "grinning publica" model of car?

Obviously not funny to the person who this is meant to be. It sort of defeats the object of posting info/names like this up, when they are clearly wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RIP260Z said:

Yes, there is a driver called "cabinet" driving a "joint oil Honda", whilst someone else is driving a "general sprinter", or how about a "grinning publica" model of car?

Obviously not funny to the person who this is meant to be. It sort of defeats the object of posting info/names like this up, when they are clearly wrong.

Errr what about the names and data that are correct?   2 sides to everything. Some correct data always beats no data in science, exploration, and research

Edited by 240260280

15 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Some correct data always beats no data in science, exploration, and research

Ooh, not much margin for error in Alans' book. None of the 'well, at least we tried' or 'we gave it our best' ! It's correct or it isn't and it's a minefield out there with misinterpretations, mistranslations, information not wished to be divulged....if it weren't for a few talented westerners, we'd all be in the stone age and even books like Brian Longs' is ridden with errors ! At least we all quote 'S30' now - you got us that far Alan :-)