IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

3 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Stunning! Do you know yet if anything got lost through the basket in the plating tank?

From what the lady tells me, these were not done in the basket which actually is supposed to be at a better price.  She said the quantity was not large enough to utilize the basket.  So, apparently they string these up.  I can see where the string is attached on some of the parts so it seems that these were done 'manually'.  I am sure that I had over 20 pounds of parts on this last batch and still, not enough for the 'basket'.  It looks like all the parts are there, but I haven't done a thorough check yet.  I am thrilled with the color though.  The pictures don't do it justice.  Honestly, I need to get a new camera.  The one I am using now is pretty old.  Also, the cost was less than expected.  I am sure this was easily double the weight and quantity of my last batch and the cost was almost the same.  Very reasonable.

1 hour ago, dmorales-bello said:

Looks like beautiful intricate jewelry. I think your choice of grey ceramic coating for your exhaust manifold really sets up the contrasting yellow zinc perfectly. Well done!

A lot of what I do is what Les Cannady has done in the past, and he is just 10 miles down the highway.  He has given me all his suppliers and I think I pretty much get his cost, which is less than standard pricing.  This actually makes a restoration fairly cost effective.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been prepping my orange Z for the upcoming San Marino Motor Classic so have not spent much time on the resto here.  Just did a couple small items.  Not sure why, but the smog pump was painted blue.  I used lacquer thinner to strip the paint which worked real well.  The aluminum looks nice underneath.   Still need to remove the back part of the pump and paint that nicely, then this will be ready to install.  Assembled one of the smog system parts here (Throttle opener control valve?).  That came out nice.  Cleaned and painted a couple brackets.  Not much to update with the paint shop.  Miguel took a little time to work on another vehicle but will get back to this one this week.  

DSCF4737.JPG

DSCF4740.JPG

DSCF4741.JPG

DSCF4746.JPG

• Like 1

A little more progress tonight.  Got the smog pump cleaned up and painted.  Lubed the bearings while I had the back section off.  Used clear satin over the aluminum housing and inlet and outlet pipes.  Also got the air breather attached.  Loosely installed the pump onto the motor.

DSCF4752.JPG

DSCF4750.JPG

DSCF4761.JPG

DSCF4763.JPG

• Like 1

@motorman7

Smog pump looks great!

I just did this on the 73.

Weird to see a smog pump installed isn't it!

Yours was a reman. unit which explains the blue paint.

Per page EC-10 of the FSM your pump is installed upside down. You'd discover that when you install the hoses---just sayin' :P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zup said:

Per page EC-10 of the FSM your pump is installed upside down. You'd discover that when you install the hoses---just sayin' :P

Yes, I guess I would have figured this out when I went to put on the hoses.  It's funny, I originally had it on correctly, but the pump would not rotate freely through the length of the slot in the support arm.  The lower housing starts to contact the support bracket as you rotate it towards the engine, with about 2 inches of slot left.  The interference gets worse the closer you move it toward the engine.  In the upside down configuration it rotates freely over the length of the slot without interference.  Thus, not looking at pics, I thought this would be the right install.  Will have to fix this.  

Cleaned up the differential this weekend.  I took a little bit of 'artistic license' and put clear coat on the aluminum parts.  Who looks under the car anyway?   I could paint the aluminum black but it looks nice like this, the cast aluminum is beautiful.  Before and after pics below.

DSCF4764.JPG

DSCF4765.JPG

DSCF4784.JPG

DSCF4788.JPG

DSCF4791.JPG

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, jonathanrussell said:

All looks great. What product did you use to paint the differential black?

Thanks..

I just used the Rust-Oleum gloss black for the housing.  I wire wheeled the entire housing down to the bare metal and wiped with lacquer thinner to make sure it was clean.  It sticks pretty well that way.

I used Matte Clear for the aluminum.  I used to use gloss clear to protect the metal parts, but it does not look as good.  Matte produces a finish that is a bit closer to the bare metal appearance.

41rqKxzhqsL._SY355_.jpg

• Like 1