IGNORED

Deja Vu: 1971 Restoration

motorman7

Thanks!

Got the transmission cleaned up and installed.  I have the transmission mount in and the forward end supported with a scissors jack.  I should be able to drop the motor in here soon once I can scrape together a couple hours.  I bought the Exedy (made in Japan) clutch kit which included the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing and pilot bushing.  Very reasonable from Rock Auto.  

Also added the before picture which was posted earlier.

Also had some nice light for the rear end pics.  I love how that came out.  

DSCF5535.JPG

DSCF5536.JPG

DSCF5541.JPG

DSCF5543.JPG

DSCF5547.JPG

DSCF4250.JPG

DSCF5553.JPG

DSCF5544.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe newsom said:

Transmission turned out great. How did you get it to look so shiny :)

Hi Joe,

Pretty much the old fashioned way.  I used paint thinner and a parts brush (for crevices) and a wire brush to remove all of the oil.  I would clean an area with the brushes and then wipe clean with a towel paper.  I think I went through about half a roll of towel paper by the time I was finished.  That part took about almost an hour.  At this point the transmission is clean, but still fairly grayish.  I then took wire wheels and attached them to my drill and used that to pretty things up and make it shiny.  After that, I put on a thin coat of high temp gloss clear. 

I was tempted to use aluminum paint, but that can chip and also looks too 'uniform' which looks funny to me.    Bare metal typically has a little character to it.

Got clutch and pressure plate installed.  Also installed the motor.  Things should move along nicely now.

I picked up four rims today and have about 8 hubcaps to sort through for the wheels.  We are going stock with hubcaps for the final set-up.  I will drop the rims off at the powdercoaters next week.  Should be able to post some pics of the hubcaps in the next day or two.

Radiator has been re-cored and is ready for pick-up.  I will get that on Monday and should be able to install that day.  Some pics are below.

DSCF5556.JPG

DSCF5559.JPG

DSCF5563.JPG

DSCF5565.JPG

DSCF5572.JPG

• Like 1

Got the exhaust and intake manifold installed.  Threw on the air cleaner just for pics.  Picked up the radiator from the repair shop and attached it, but not very happy with the radiator shop paint job.  Will probably remove it and clean up some of the drips and solder remnants, then re-paint.  Will have to get some of Jay's braided hose and some nice wire clamps next.   Will also get the master cylinder and clutch master in shortly, then I think I will be ready for the fenders.  Pics below.

DSCF5587.JPG

DSCF5582.JPG

DSCF5583.JPG

DSCF5584.JPG

• Like 3