IGNORED

Just Another Damned Project Thread

conedodger

Thanks to Leon I bought a stock clutch instead of the high dollar Centerforce. Mine's easy to drive once I get out of the garage and up my driveway, that's all it takes to get the feel.

I asked about what clutch with my Tilton aluminum flywheel in a thread I started. Wise man Leon said "stock unless you like wasting money". :love:

• 3 weeks later...

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 8:04 AM, siteunseen said:

Thanks to Leon I bought a stock clutch instead of the high dollar Centerforce. Mine's easy to drive once I get out of the garage and up my driveway, that's all it takes to get the feel.

I asked about what clutch with my Tilton aluminum flywheel in a thread I started. Wise man Leon said "stock unless you like wasting money". :love:

Happy to be able to help! ;) I decided to test the stock clutch when I put it all together and it's held up beautifully. Stock engagement but rev-happy and holds the torque without issue, at least so far.

Gimme a shout if you need any help, Bob.

• 1 month later...

Well, I should call this a 'lack of progress thread' huh? 

But today, I made progress. In my defense, I am only driving out of California once every two weeks. In order to pick up the finished engine, I have to stay an extra day as Dave Rebello is closed by the time I am leaving. The weather has been horrible for driving back over the mountain. On one trip, it took me 42 hours from the time I left work until I got home, including 7 hours sitting still waiting for the avalanche crew to knock down a threat. Today was the day though. I left work last night and checked in to a hotel in Concord just 15 miles from Rebello. Got up this morning and went to Antioch for the big pick up.

She's still in the back of the truck until I put her on the stand tomorrow. I'm excited to get started! 

IMG_1282.JPG

• Like 2

Ok, bunches of questions:

the mechanical oil pressure sender I have on my engine (in the car) is 44 years old and works. But with a new engine, it kind of feels like putting on yesterday's underwear using the old parts. I see MSA sells new ones, but I seem to recall problems with the replacements. Thoughts and experiences?

sensors? I plan on having water temp sensor, MAP in the manifold, MAF in the intake, an actual throttle position sensor on the throttle body. Which actual sensors have you guys used? Someone suggested the 240SX TPS for use on my TWM throttle body. I guess it fits the shaft and needs some drilling and tapping to mount, but minor. So, suggestions for which sensors to work with Megasquirt? I actually already have an O2 sensor in the header which I used with the carbs. Injectors? 

Sorry about the lack of pictures. Job getting in the way!

BTW, my actual static compression is 10.2:1 using the E31 and a gasket Rebello has marked 3.0 in Sharpie. 

Anyone have the injector mounting hardware laying around? I need to source and plate it.

• 2 weeks later...

A little peek at the head. This is an E31 which was modified by B.C. Gerolomy back in the 1980's. It has the 280Z valves with a comp 3 angle valve grind. It's ported and polished. Dave Rebello only had to clean it up and do a bit of his own magic to make it ready for action. Since it's going to be EFI, he had to notch the intake ports for injectors. Having already modified my head saved me a ton, but you should know, this head is worth a bit more than some of the 914's I see! 

IMG_1321.JPG

IMG_1322.JPG

Here's some of the subtle magic going in to this thing. That is Austin Hoke's Hall sensor mount, with Hall sensor installed.

yes, I know I have no front seal and I'm missing a couple water pump bolts. Dave helped me load it and we noticed it then. He was a bit disgusted with his guys I think, but no harm. I've built a half dozen Porsche motors and a couple L28 motors so those little details are not a problem...

IMG_1319.JPG