IGNORED

Winter Storage using Water Wetter

TomoHawk

On October 23, 2016 at 2:30 AM, TomoHawk said:

You can't get on a track even with a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze, so I have to use water in the summer.  I think if I at least go with a 70/30mix, it should be fine for storage, and just draining it in the Spring will get it to where the scrutineers will pass the car.

Am I missing something?  In 40 years of racing(SCCA, ICSCC, VARA, etc) no tech inspector has ever cared what fluid I had in my radiator.  If this is addressed in the GCR, I'd like to know where?

Back on topic:  I'm forced to store the Z in the trailer this winter due to a big project in the garage.  I just drained the radiator, then poured in a gallon of concentrated antifreeze, carefully ran the engine to get the system hot to circulate and mix it all, then shut it down for the winter.  The system is not full too, so it will ride out the cold just fine.  Prior to my first race in the spring, I will flush it all out and refill with water and Water Wetter.

I've had the radiator catch bottles inspected for every autocross event and most every time I go to a race track for lapping.  The open the bottle, then say something about the brown liquid at the bottom, asking if that's rust or the antifreeze.  For other places, the rules simply say you need to avoid antifreeze or 'slippery solutions.'

Maybe  tjhe racing organizations  just assume you will be responsible with your coolant, so it's no in the GCRs.

I just did a search of the SCCA GCR.  Coolant is unrestricted for ALL classes.  I have seen at times, tech inspectors that just don't know their own rules and like to substitute their "techniques" for "procedures."  I ask them politely to point to the regulation in print. Their answer is eventually "Oh, I didn't know that."  Sometimes, I've had to say that.  Sometimes it is not worth the trouble.

BTW, the GCR is very specific about the use of coolant catch cans.  Perhaps that is why coolant is "free."

Edited by coop
Addition