IGNORED

Hesitation after warm engine

Palmettobug

Re-reading this thread, I decided to pull the plugs. From left to right, its #6 to #1. 4-6 are a little black, not much. 1-3 are whitish-tan. Cleaned them up, put them back. Re-dialed the mixture. Fixed the fuel pumping leak in the rear carb. Not a clue how I did it. I pulled the float out, wiped it down. Made sure the needle opened and closed. Cleaned the tan/brown varnish stuff off the bottom of the bowl. Car idles at 1200. Drops to 500 when placed in drive. And ..... we're back to hesitation/sputtering under acceleration load, and can't make it up an incline in the neighborhood. WTF??? 

I was having a blast flying down the road earlier. What the heck went wrong? 

20160926_173536.jpg

The hesitation and sputtering is lack of fuel. Now that both carbs appear too lean, given that the mixture screws are at 2 1/2 turns and assuming the needles are installed correctly, I'd suspect the float heights are too low. IF, you're double dog sure sure that everything is correct, you might try using a heavier wt. oil in the carbs. I always ran ATF but Datsun recommended 20wt. if I recall correctly. I"m not an expert on the effects of different wt. oils but everyone has a favorite that seems to work best in their carbs. 

Might check float levels. Pull the domes and Pistons out of the carbs . You should be looking at an empty carb body.
Now counting as you go- back off the mixture nuts(richen) until you see fuel starting to cover the nozzle hole. Compare between the two carbs. They should be pretty close .

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club