IGNORED

Mystery switch?

orangething

This little switch is located on the passenger side of my 73 on the far right, the wiring looks new, but I dont have a battery yet nor have I tried to hook one up to the ancient leads to see what it does..but it doesn't quite look stock. Does anyone have any idea what this is for? Additionally, that choke looking pull, there are about 3 of them on the driver side if I remember correctly. Have no idea what those are for either. I've never heard anyone mention these bits on the inside of Z cars nor have I seen them, or I wouldn't be asking. 

14037494_1056294157786729_446449767_o.jpg

14087286_1056294161120062_1564343298_o.jpg

If I had to guess I would say the switch on the passenger side is for an alarm system or ignition kill, judging by the twisted pair wiring that appears to go to it. The knob near it is a fresh air vent control. The knobs below the steering column surround are not stock. You just need to trace them down manually. If I had to guess I would say they are a PO's attempt at choke control...

4 minutes ago, professorpuffypants said:

Hey, thanks a lot. I had thought the switch might be some kind of kill switch but its momentary. Knowing that it isn't stock it'll probably just get ripped out. 

It's definitely not stock.  Before ripping it out can you trace the wires to see where they go?  I doubt it's ignition kill because it would be hard to reach across the seats to get to it, but who knows what the PO was thinking.

I planned on seeing where it went first, I guess I wasn't very clear. But thank you :beer:

Yeah, I have no idea what could be convenient to have a switch for over there. I guess I'll find out, next time I'm out working on it. 

Edited by professorpuffypants

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I just noticed that you said it was a momentary switch.  This is curious because I cannot think of anything that would require turning on only for a few seconds, especially by the passenger

I thought the same thing.

The location didn't seem overly odd for an alarm because it would be less obvious on the passenger side

2 minutes ago, Patcon said:

I thought the same thing.

The location didn't seem overly odd for an alarm because it would be less obvious on the passenger side

But, I still keep wondering about the momentary thing.  An alarm is either on or off.  Maybe it's a kill switch for a motion detection device?  Meaning, if you wanted to set your alarm, but, disable the motion detection..  (I had a BMW that used to always alarm while I was on a ferry boat, only later did I figure out you can set the alarm to ignore the motion detection)