IGNORED

240z Carpet Thread (Yuk Yuk)

240260280z

13 hours ago, Blue said:

Here are photos of a carpet set from a 240z Canadian Jan 1971.

Most date codes in the car are Dec-Jan 70/71.

Yup they are yours George... just found while going through boxes in the garage so I experimented and washed then photographed. I think they are original?  You can verify :)

There is no split in the back deck carpet as the 01/1970 had the plastic storage bins behind the seats.

I'm confused, Blue.  You start off by mentioning '240z Canadian Jan 1971' and ' date codes in the car are Dec-Jan 70/71', but then you say, 'there is no split in the back deck carpet as the 01/1970 had the plastic storage bins behind the seats'.

And then the pix that follow right afterwards are labeled, "240Z Jan 1971" but they show a back deck carpet with no split.

Would I be correct in saying that your first set of photos are mislabeled and should, in fact, say: '240Z Jan 1970', while the text preamble should say, '240z Canadian Jan 1970' and 'date codes in the car are Dec-Jan 69/70' ?

Also, I have a question (for you, or for others) that the photos don't directly address:

Did all of the early cars (i.e. cars with the plastic storage bins behind the seats) use the rubber underlay sheet in the back deck area in place of the jute pad underlay that appeared at some later point? 

Let me put that another way, so you'll see what I'm getting at:  Did the jute pad underlay in the back deck area arrive in conjunction with the relocation of the storage areas from behind the seats to underneath the deck floor, or did the jute replace the rubber underlay at some point while the storage areas were still located behind the seats?  My car is a 5/70 and was purchased with both  carpet and underlay missing from the hatch and the front floor areas, so I need to figure out what should go in those locations.

• Like 1

Thanks Namerow,,, I corrected the typo.  It is a Jan 1971 carpet set in the first pictures.  I think it may have been the last month of the plastic bin thus the deck carpet has no split.

For the rubber underlay, most thought it was only on the very early cars but it showed up on a June 1970 above.

I read that the early 240z to the USA had only rubber floor mats and rubber deck lining.  It was a push from dealers to have carpet installed so a local auto upholsterer in the USA was hired to make carpets.  I'm not sure what happened in Canada.

1 hour ago, Namerow said:

Also, I have a question (for you, or for others) that the photos don't directly address:

Did all of the early cars (i.e. cars with the plastic storage bins behind the seats) use the rubber underlay sheet in the back deck area in place of the jute pad underlay that appeared at some later point? 

Let me put that another way, so you'll see what I'm getting at:  Did the jute pad underlay in the back deck area arrive in conjunction with the relocation of the storage areas from behind the seats to underneath the deck floor, or did the jute replace the rubber underlay at some point while the storage areas were still located behind the seats?  My car is a 5/70 and was purchased with both  carpet and underlay missing from the hatch and the front floor areas, so I need to figure out what should go in those locations.

I think that question was addressed in the source thread that Blue "hoovered" these pictures from.  Now that there is no context or prior discussion to go along the photos he re-posted it seems that information has been lost, part of what I tried to point out to Blue earlier.

24 minutes ago, Blue said:

For the rubber underlay, most thought it was only on the very early cars but it showed up on a June 1970 above.

I read that the early 240z to the USA had only rubber floor mats and rubber deck lining.  It was a push from dealers to have carpet installed so a local auto upholsterer in the USA was hired to make carpets.  I'm not sure what happened in Canada.

There was a discussion of why the rubber mats would show up in some later cars in some of the threads that you took these photos from, but now that reference is gone.  I guess all we have to go by now is your recollection of what you think you read and the photos that you re-post from other threads.

OK... here is the thread: 

The title obviously helps point any one on CZZC to early 1970 cars getting locally made carpets on entry to the USA ....and it is 8 pages long... The info you refer to is on the last page. That is a great resource and easy to find???????  Like I said... you have to search.   This thread saves some of that.  Please stop complaining just because the format of this thread is more orderly but with less detail. It is a good format.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

240260280z and all,

1) Is the hook and loop (Velcro) sewn to the front (and rear???) carpet or is the stick on type of hook and loop?

2) Which part of the Velcro, the hook (rough side) or the loop (smooth side) is sewn to the carpet?  The other side would be glued to the metal floor.)

Thanks,
Keith

Edited by zed2

11 hours ago, zed2 said:

240260280z and all,

1) Is the hook and loop (Velcro) sewn to the front (and rear???) carpet or is the stick on type of hook and loop?

2) Which part of the Velcro, the hook (rough side) or the loop (smooth side) is sewn to the carpet?  The other side would be glued to the metal floor.)

Thanks,
Keith

For the rear deck carpet, the clue is in the stitching.  The soft/looped part of the Velcro is stitched to the underside of the carpet, thus the hard/hooks part of the Velcro is glued to the deck metal.  To the best of my knowledge, this is the only Velcro application in the carpet set.  Footwell carpets were secured with firewall snaps and hooks at the rear. Behind the seat carpet was unsecured.