IGNORED

Fuel tank repair

It should be possible to hot dip galvanize a Z tank if was meticulously clean. One would have to be sure the lines were blown out with compressed air as soon it comes out of the zinc tank. The fuel tank would last longer than the Z body if it was galvanized and would be better than the original coating. (If there was one.). But theoretically, it's possible to galvanize a Z body too. Rain? What rain!

• 2 weeks later...

I had my car painted several months ago. During the Restoration procedure, the shop that painted the car removed the gas tank and hoses from the car and i believe that accidentally damaged on of the fuel metal lines that form part of the tank and could be the 5mm - 3/16 or the 8 mm - 5/16 one. One of these metal lines leaks a Little bit of gas when the gas tank is full. Should i remove the tank, flush it and start soldering the broken line or would any cold solder mix product fix this permanently? or should i just simply try to find a new tank??

metal line tank 3.jpg

Metal line tank 2.jpg

Metal line tank 1.jpg

Edited by jalexquijano

For many years, I carried an applicator tube of two part epoxy aircraft fuel tank sealant in my Z in case of emergency leaks like that.  Never had to use it and not sure if you can still buy such a product.  But, at the time, I figured if it worked on a C-130 aircraft tank it would work on a Z.

Dennis

14 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

So can someone recommend a product for sealing this small but small leak without soldering?? My tank is fine! it has no rust inside! Just these people that pull the tank down and struck the small metal line which is now bleeding when the tank is full.

I know you've had the "DO A GOOGLE SEARCH" lectures a few times in the past.  Look what I found when I did a Google search for "fix gas tank leaks" - this and about 500 additional suggestions.  I'm fairly certain you could have done that, too.  Time to put on your Big Boy Z Fixer coveralls and do a little research on the problems you encounter.  On the other hand, you could sell the car to someone willing to tackle routine maintenance projects and simplify your life and mine.

Dennis

Dennis

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, jalexquijano said:

What about this one:

http://www.rakuten.com/prod/permatex-12020-gas-tank-repair-patch/275983790.html?listingid=378213259

Is this good enough?? Sorry friend but im not selling any car!

The only way to determine if it's good enough...... is to try it.  Let us know how it works out for you.

Dennis