IGNORED

fuel gauge accuracy 1975 280z

Dave WM

This just came in very handy. My 1976 Fuel gauge has not been reading accurately ever since I had the fuel sending unit out. Now I know what to do. Also answers, that the Low Fuel light probably does not come on with the bulb check. 

that is correct the fuel bulb is not checked. I have my fuel check light set up to come on when I have about 4 gallons from bone dry IIRC. I figure once you are down to about 1.5-2 gallons from dry you are virtually empty (car will suck air in left turns cause it to stumble, prob not run at 1 gallon). So I have about a 40-45 mile range when that light comes on.

I wonder why every volt meter I see has that corrosion around the charging light?

You'd need a separate circuit with a relay to check that bulb wouldn't you?  As I understand the way it works the ground circuit for the bulb runs through a resistive element that doesn't pass current unless it's not covered by fuel.  Exposed to air where it heats up and passes current.  I've seen the description somewhere but haven't refound it yet.

I've never seen my fuel light come on, but have pondered draining the tank to check it.  My "E" seems to be set to about 13 gallons.  I get too nervous to drive until the light comes on because I don't know if it  works.

I've wondered the same thing  about the Charge light.  Maybe it gets warm there.