Jump to content
dmorales-bello

Heavy Duty Starter from California Datsun

Recommended Posts

I have searched for improved alternatives to the OEM starter on the forum and there seems to be no information on the subject. California Datsun advertises a starter:

" LIGHT WEIGHT AND HELPS START YOUR ENGINE FASTER. NO MORE SLOW CRANK ON COLD DAYS WHERE IT ALMOST KILLS YOUR BATTERY, THIS IS YOUR ANSWER! NO CORE REQUIRED. 

NO MODIFICATIONS NEEDED THIS IS A DIRECT BOLT ON. PLEASE SEE OUR OTHER AUCTIONS FOR THE STARTERRELAY KIT THAT ADDS TRUE 12 VOLTS TO EXTEND YOUR STARTER LIFE! "

s-l500.jpg

 

It certainly looks much nicer than stock but is there any functional advantage over OEM? The starter relay they mention is an extra $15. Opinions from more experienced members would be greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"How to modify" book shows a lightweight gear reduction starter. I think I have one that came with some Z parts I bought. I'll see if I can find and get some info for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought most people go for the 280ZX units. They are like siteunseen just mentioned, gear reduction units. Try rockauto and you can buy a unit for $60.

Look up 82 or 83 280ZX L6 n/a engine.

Chas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like site says, other companies use the Nissan gear reduction starter as a high-performance unit, by installing a different nose on it to fit other engines.  That's just a shined up and painted gear reduction starter from CD.  Probably from Rockauto.

Browse his other products and you'll see that most of them are just inexpensive parts with slight modifications, and a huge price increase.  Distributors with a mounting block added - 3 times Rockauto cost.

https://www.californiadatsun.com/distributors-and-parts/datsun-240z-280z-e12-80-rebuilt-electronic-distributor.html?highlight=WyJkaXN0cmlidXRvciJd

The factory gear reduction starters work well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the opinions guys.

As far as I can tell, '78 280Zs (not sure about previous 280s)  and ZXs already have a gear reduction starter from factory. The real question is what makes the CD starter "heavy duty" and "lightweight" compared to stock. I wrote them to ask precisely these questions but have not gotten an answer yet.

I will report back as soon as I get an answer.

Edited by dmoralesbello

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, dmoralesbello said:

As far as I can tell, '78 280Zs (not sure about previous 280s)  and ZXs already have a gear reduction starter from factory. The real question is what makes the CD starter "heavy duty" and "lightweight" compared to stock. I wrote them to ask precisely these questions but have not gotten an answer yet.

I will report back as soon as I get an answer.

There is no "they" it's just one guy named Al.  And he will spin you a story.  His member name on this site is URGELUS or something like that.

He's saying that the ZX starter is stronger and lighter than the Z starter.  Which it is.  But you can buy the same starter for less money elsewhere.  Al sells inexpensive stuff for a high premium.

The real question is how he stays in business.  The answer is people who fall for his stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great information, all! I can see a clear picture emerging now :rolleyes:.

Is a ZX starter really NLA from Nissan? All I can find are remans.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, EuroDat said:

I thought most people go for the 280ZX units. They are like siteunseen just mentioned, gear reduction units. Try rockauto and you can buy a unit for $60.

Look up 82 or 83 280ZX L6 n/a engine.

Chas

So these will fit a 240Z just fine?  Nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dmoralesbello said:

 The real question is what makes the CD starter "heavy duty" and "lightweight" compared to stock.

It's california datsun. hint hint

 

Hey, Dave, you're in key biscane. You don't need to spin over a really cold engine.  Stock is fine for you.

You need to get that clock and tail lights installed first anyways.

Edited by hr369
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hr369 said:

It's california datsun. hint hint

 

Hey, Dave, you're in key biscane. You don't need to spin over a really cold engine.  Stock is fine for you.

You need to get that clock and tail lights installed first anyways.

Hi Greg,

Lol! Totally correct on both counts. Your JDM tail lights and calendar clock will be on by next weekend now that I finally have some free time. I'll post those pics immediately afterward. I think I'm just gonna spruce up my stock starter with a good scrubbing and some paint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it hard to believe that you would need a gear reduction on the starter for more starter torque.  The stock starter already has an insane amount of torque. How do I know???   I was once dead stopped on the 5 fwy in traffic, going uphill,  when my clutch went out (severe fluid leak).  The only way to get the car out of traffic and off the freeway was to turn the car off, put the car in 1st gear and try to start the car.  No problem, the car moved uphill in first gear when I turned the key and started running, much to my amazement.  I was able to get to an off-ramp while grinding a few gears and to a gas station.  Never again will I worry about the torque of the stock starter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, motorman7 said:

I find it hard to believe that you would need a gear reduction on the starter for more starter torque.  The stock starter already has an insane amount of torque. How do I know???   I was once dead stopped on the 5 fwy in traffic, going uphill,  when my clutch went out (severe fluid leak).  The only way to get the car out of traffic and off the freeway was to turn the car off, put the car in 1st gear and try to start the car.  No problem, the car moved uphill in first gear when I turned the key and started running, much to my amazement.  I was able to get to an off-ramp while grinding a few gears and to a gas station.  Never again will I worry about the torque of the stock starter.

Great story ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All i see are reman starters. Will this one work for my 1972 240z with manual 5 speed tranny? Code numbwe 16711-N. Shop wants 130 usd plus 7 per cent tax.

20200919_120156.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.