IGNORED

Heavy Duty Starter from California Datsun

I have searched for improved alternatives to the OEM starter on the forum and there seems to be no information on the subject. California Datsun advertises a starter:

" LIGHT WEIGHT AND HELPS START YOUR ENGINE FASTER. NO MORE SLOW CRANK ON COLD DAYS WHERE IT ALMOST KILLS YOUR BATTERY, THIS IS YOUR ANSWER! NO CORE REQUIRED. 

NO MODIFICATIONS NEEDED THIS IS A DIRECT BOLT ON. PLEASE SEE OUR OTHER AUCTIONS FOR THE STARTERRELAY KIT THAT ADDS TRUE 12 VOLTS TO EXTEND YOUR STARTER LIFE! "

s-l500.jpg

It certainly looks much nicer than stock but is there any functional advantage over OEM? The starter relay they mention is an extra $15. Opinions from more experienced members would be greatly appreciated.

Like site says, other companies use the Nissan gear reduction starter as a high-performance unit, by installing a different nose on it to fit other engines.  That's just a shined up and painted gear reduction starter from CD.  Probably from Rockauto.

Browse his other products and you'll see that most of them are just inexpensive parts with slight modifications, and a huge price increase.  Distributors with a mounting block added - 3 times Rockauto cost.

https://www.californiadatsun.com/distributors-and-parts/datsun-240z-280z-e12-80-rebuilt-electronic-distributor.html?highlight=WyJkaXN0cmlidXRvciJd

The factory gear reduction starters work well.

Thanks for all the opinions guys.

As far as I can tell, '78 280Zs (not sure about previous 280s)  and ZXs already have a gear reduction starter from factory. The real question is what makes the CD starter "heavy duty" and "lightweight" compared to stock. I wrote them to ask precisely these questions but have not gotten an answer yet.

I will report back as soon as I get an answer.

Edited by dmoralesbello

35 minutes ago, dmoralesbello said:

As far as I can tell, '78 280Zs (not sure about previous 280s)  and ZXs already have a gear reduction starter from factory. The real question is what makes the CD starter "heavy duty" and "lightweight" compared to stock. I wrote them to ask precisely these questions but have not gotten an answer yet.

I will report back as soon as I get an answer.

There is no "they" it's just one guy named Al.  And he will spin you a story.  His member name on this site is URGELUS or something like that.

He's saying that the ZX starter is stronger and lighter than the Z starter.  Which it is.  But you can buy the same starter for less money elsewhere.  Al sells inexpensive stuff for a high premium.

The real question is how he stays in business.  The answer is people who fall for his stuff.

• Like 1