IGNORED

Help

Jasonsdad

My son and I started a 77 , 280z build back in 2001 when he was just 15.  We took body and paint classes together and bought and sold at least 15 similar Z,s for parts .. Tragically my son died in 2009 2 months after graduating from college. I still have the Z and I will never sell it but I have a barn attic with lots of parts ... Not sure what year they are all from. I have 2 L28 blocks and at least two heads .. One of which is a turbo head. I have a reworked turbo and exhaust manifold  and intercooler.. a few wheels .. lots of interior parts..too much to list all here..   Does anyone live close to Albion Michigan that would be willing to take a look and help me with values and possibly buying some of this ... If I knew what everything was I would start listing it on ebay. 

Thanks for looking

Jasonsdad

DSC00008.JPG

The engine blocks have letters and numbers stamped-engraved on the upper right back edge that identify what they were when they came from the factory.  The heads have letter-numbers molded in to the lower front right edge.  Those are what people use, not year of car.  Too much modding and swapping to tell what's what by year.

The interior parts are probably all 77 and most of them are probably unique to 77 and 78.  

I'd start taking pictures and posting them here.  Even if somebody pays a visit, you'll need to do that anyway.  Heads are typically an assembly of head, cam, and valve train.  If it's bare, it's worth less than complete, for example.

Edited by Zed Head

Recent chatter among CZCC members suggests (altho doesn't prove) that attempts to list and sell a large lot Z parts -- new or used -- on a piecemeal basis may prove to be a less-than-satisfying experience for the seller.  There are a lot of Z-parts vendors out there.  Most have well-established reputations and relatively-easy-to-work with online ordering facilities and clear/reliable shipping procedures.  I suspect that a lot of Z owners with small need-to-buy lists would prefer to pay full pop for new parts from a known vendor over the uncertainties of dealing with a private buyer.

Nevertheless, I encourage you to give it a try.  Just be prepared for only 20 - 30% of the parts to sell within a week, after which you'll experience dwindling interest in the remainder.  A knowledgeable member like JeffG78 can give you an idea on typical asking prices for things like engines, heads, transmissions, differentials, and the like.  Used small stuff like interior parts may never sell (unless it's a rarity).  New small stuff might sell, but you'll probably need to undercut the price of a vendor like Motorsport Auto by at least 30% to attract much attention.

A guaranteed seller with a worthwhile price would be a used or NOS dash with no cracks or chips.  Probably only of interest to a ~ local buyer who could pick it up in person, though (too much risk of cracks developing during shipping).

A working Z mechanical clock is also a collector's item :D ... but otherwise basically worthless.

Thanks for tagging me guys.  Sorry for your loss Jasonsdad.  I'm sure it was a great project for you two.

Like Zed Head stated, start by taking and posting pictures of the big items.  I'd be happy to take a look and try to help you sort and speculate on the value of the parts you have left.  Unfortunately, this area isn't exactly full of Z cars, so the potential market for heavy items becomes very small.  I've seen local S30 parts sit on Craigslist for months due to the lack of local buyers.  In this part of the country as you are well aware, rust claimed most of the Z's, but the powertrains mostly survived.  I have about five L28 engines myself.  The problem is that it's cost prohibitive to ship heavy parts to the Southwest where they need good engines and transmissions.  Hopefully you find the right local buyer that is in need of what you have.  

PM me and I will do what I can to help.

Jason's Dad, I'm sorry for your loss, and sifting through these parts must be hard.

If it helps, the Z community could really benefit from your labor and efforts. I parted out a car a couple years back. It was one I had purchased and was destroyed in a shipping accident (I made them deliver it anyway). As others have said, it's a long process and there isn't much resale value in a lot of the parts, but even over the last 5 years parts for Zs have really dried up. Try finding a window regulator now, and all the after-market shops tell you "no" and you might get half a hit on ebay. If Jeff G can help, that's great, and folks here will help too in terms of pricing, etc. Starting with the larger items seems the way to go. I know, for example, I've been looking for a hood latch now for the better part of a year with no luck (unless I want to spend crazy money on an old rusty one). So, there are lots of us out here...we're just all over the place.

To finish the story, I did manage to part out every single usable part from the wrecked car--a lot of them I just gave away to young people for shipping costs who were starting on their first Z. One guy in the cities turned the engine into a rip-shorting turbo monster, for example. It's gratifying to see these cars on the road and much appreciated by new owners. Therefore, thanks for your considerations in this difficult time.

{f2356b7b-2997-4d55-9777-10701a9c76f8}.jpeg

Edited by z boy mn

• 2 weeks later...