IGNORED

1971 HLS30-14938 "Lily" build

Patcon

9 hours ago, hr369 said:

Charles, you sure have lots of projects to keep you busy. That a fastback mustang?  Your 510 wagon get/getting the same treatment?

Way too many projects!!! The 510 probably won't get this treatment at least for a while. I really want to get it running so Cody can enjoy it. If he wants to take it off the road for a while later and do it "nuts and bolts" we can, but even if you do it really fast, it takes a year of weekends and nights. I'm 7 years in and just put the first part back onto the car yesterday

There are 2 - 66 Thunderbirds in the yard that were gonna be a project. Sold the fastback when my older son lost interest. Another 71 Z to be done if it doesn't rust apart first and a 56 VW bug that is next on the "nuts and bolts" list

5 hours ago, Namerow said:

I envy your two-car garage and workspace.  Nevertheless, isn't it amazing how shelf space fills up so quickly?  I've adopted the strategy of hanging larger parts from the overhead beams in my workshop.  Even with that, shelf space always seems to be at a premium.

Is the blue Z in the driveway a runner or is it a parts donor?

It is amazing how fast the shop fills up when you disassemble a car. They basically double in size maybe more. In some of these earlier pictures, we have the fastback and the Z torn all the way down. There is also a 56 bug tucked into the other corner of the shop that is out of frame, bead blasting cabinet, tool boxes, welder, plasma cutter, engine hoist. Get's full quick. The shop is about 26' x 27' inside dimensions and has a structural concrete floor above it. So I also have a beam trollie if I want to use it to move things around...

There is also more storage. The wall of shelves is not all of the parts

110115j.JPG110115k.JPG

the Blue or Tourquoise Z in the driveway was "the shark" from my signature line. I traded it plus some cash to get the Datsun 510 for Cody. We had it running off and on. I had replaced one floor board but it still had a lot of rust. It had rust in weird places too. I am not sure I would have really known what to do with it. Significant rust in the windshield pillars, door jambs and stuff. Hadn't seen that before

3 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Charles I'm " Jones'n " for some more land like you have.  Those happy young'uns you have helping makes work look fun too.  I'm jealous! :)

Land is great. Those young'uns aren't so young any more but they still help me on the cars. The blond chipping the sound mat out is almost 16 now and getting his license. He has the 510 Wagon we're trying to get back on the road. We're getting close...I have considered doing a build thread for that but not sure the reception I would get considering the forum never really got expanded to some other Datsun vehicles. I figured some of the work we have been doing would be applicable to all Datsun cars. We just deconstructed and repaired his hood then reassembled it

20150820_162044.jpg

Edited by Patcon
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Way too many projects. The 510 probably won't get this treatment at least for a while. I really want to get it running so Cody can enjoy it. If he wants to take it off the road for a while later and do it "nuts and bolts" we can but even if you do it really fast it takes a year of weekend and nights. I'm 7 years in and just put the first part back onto the car yesterday

There are 2 - 66 Thunderbirds in the yard that were gonna be a project. sold the fastback when my older son lost interest. Another 71 Z to be done if it doesn't rust apart first and a 56 VW bug that is next on the "nuts and bolts" list

It is amazing how fast the shop fills up when you disassemble a car. They basically double in size maybe more. In some of these earlier pictures, we have the fastback and the Z torn all the a way down. There is also a 56 bug tucked into the other corner of the shop that is out of frame, bead blasting cabinet, tool boxes, welder, plasma cutter, engine hoist. Get's full quick. The shop is about 26' x 27' inside dimensions and has a structural concrete floor above it. So I also have a beam trollies if I want to use it to move things around...

the Blue or Tourquoise Z in the driveway was "the shark" from my signature line. I traded it plus some cash to get the Datsun 510 for Cody. We had it running off and on. I had replaced one floor board but it still had a lot of rust. It had rust in weird places too. I am not sure I would have really known what to do with. Significant rust in the windshield pillars, door jambs and stuff. Hadn't seen that before

Land is great. Those young'uns aren't so young any more but they still help me on the cars. The blond chipping the sound mat out is almost 16 now and getting his license. He has the 510 Wagon we're trying to get back on the road. We're getting close...I have considered doing a build thread for that but not sure the reception I would get considering the forum never really got expanded to some other Datsun vehicles. I figured some of the work we have been doing would be applicable to all Datsun cars. We just deconstructed and repaired his hood then reassembled it

Well that's a first. Only 10 likes per day message.

I'm happy to hear about your son and the 510s rebirth.

• 1 year later...

I made myself a set of seam opening pliers last year. I tried to find a set for months but finally gave up and saw a thread on another forum where I guy had made a pair. I don't know if I posted these or not...

20160311_164606.jpg20160311_164623.jpg

I did this work last year, I took the rear support out of one of the fenders. There are a couple of little tack welds in the corners and you have to remove the upper fender bracket.

130816b.JPG

Once you remove the spot welds and the bracket. You can open the seam just a little bit and the inner fender support comes right out. Then you can get it really clean and repair the pin holes in the fender inner and outer

130816c.JPG130816d.JPG130816e.JPG130816f.JPG130816f.JPG20160311_164527.jpg20160311_164449.jpg

20170704_163420.jpg

All rebuilt

The fender still needs to be finished

20160709_173552.jpg

130816a.JPG

130816i.JPG

20160709_173547.jpg

Today I worked on the door hinges some

I took them apart last year bead blasted them and painted the pieces. When I reassembled them I damaged some of the paint. Especially where I had to drive the pins in.

20170704_112643.jpg

The upper hinges had an area that I missed getting painted.

20170704_112650.jpg

I worked on touching those up today. Scuffed the with 400, degreased and painted. The upper hinges got better

20170704_163457.jpg

The lower hinge still didn't get colored all the way. I shot three lighter coats on the pins and had all kinds of drips but couldn't get them to cover. Not messing with them any more for now. If it really bothers me when it's assembled. I will touch it up with a brush.

20170704_163503.jpg

I also blocked the inside of the hood and shot a coat of primer into the center section

20170704_163535.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wheee! said:

Disepyon and "standard" do not go together. Out of everyone's league.

Too true. He does have fabulous metal skills!

1 hour ago, rturbo 930 said:

No worries about not being seen in traffic with that color lol.

My wife wanted it yellow. It's really her car. When we first went to the paint shop. She took a yellow Lily out of our yard and told them she wanted that color of paint. They handled it well...:P We went through several shades before settling on this one. Yellow is a challenge though because it tends to be very transparent so the color under it makes a huge difference. I shoot white base coat first or the yellow color shade changes

• Like 2

I guess I missed this thread too but glad to see you are getting things back on track Patcon.  That is awesome that you can do so much in your own shop.  I look forward to more updates.  Keep up the good work!