IGNORED

ZCON 2016 - Toronto (Who is going?)

11 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

And also for any of you seasoned travelers...

If I need gas, would it be better to fill up on the American side, or the Canadian side?
And how about money exchange? If I want some Canadian money, should I get that on the US side, the Canadian side, or not bother at all?

I'm afraid you're going to find some % of ethanol in just about every brand and grade of pump gas sold here in Ontario.  For example, the Petro-Canada (owned by Suncor / Sunoco / Sun Oil) website has this to say:

"Due to the fact that various fuel grades are blended at the point of sale, most grades of Petro-Canada fuel may now contain up to 10% ethanol. This represents a change from the previous state, where premium fuel was ethanol-free at Petro-Canada."

In fact, they make a big deal about the use of ethanol in their 'Ultra 94' extra-premium gas, noting that its cool-burn characteristic is a key contributor to the high-octane number.

The other big gas retail chains here in Ontario are Shell, Esso ('S-O' = Standard Oil = Exxon-Mobil), and Canadian Tire (who just sell somebody else's gas under their own retail banner).

BTW, pump gas here is typically sold as either 87-octane (regular) or 91-octane (premium).  Prices in the Toronto area right now are around Cdn $1.00 per litre, which works out to about US $2.85 per US gallon (1 US gallon = 3.8 litres).

Chris is quite right about banks being the best place to get a decent exchange rate on your US cash.  And they won't scowl at you when you ask.  However, because you'll be a non-accountholder, they may want to limit the transaction to US$200.   Anywhere else, you're probably going to pay a premium of between 5% - 15%. 

An alternative is to just draw Canadian cash from a bank's ATM, using your own bank card.  Just check the machine and your card beforehand to make sure they're compatible (e.g. 'Cirrus', etc).  IIRC, you'll end up paying a slightly premium rate ( +2%, say) and your own bank will ding you for a per-transaction fee of about $3.00.  So, slightly worse than an over-the-counter transaction, but very convenient.  This is the way I keep myself in local cash when I'm traveling in Europe -- usually ~ $300 at a go.

Thanks guys,

I'm not really concerned with the ethanol as I can't get away from it where I live. I haven't been able to buy no-ethanol fuel for a number of years now. Gas prices in my area are maybe $2.50 per gallon right now, so it seems a little cheaper on the US side. Of course, I have no idea (yet) what the prices will be in the Buffalo/Niagara NY are which is where I'll probably cross over.

As for $$, I'm thinking that I'm going to use my credit card for most things and let them hash out the exchange rate, but I think it would be a good idea to have some Canadian pocket $$ for things like Tim Horton's, etc. I don't want to get the dirty looks like SteveJ got. I get enough of that already for lots of other reasons.  :)  I'm thinking that if I get a chance, I'll stop at a bank for the conversion.

So Namerow, You're planning to be at this event?

It's the drinking establishments Captain, Toronto has many... I am sure they will just give you even money.  Our dollar is around 1.30 in Canadian dollars.

It's the other way around Cliff, he would lose 30 cents for every US dollar.

Just go to any big Canadian bank when you get there Captain, Royal Bank etc.

My credit card issuer - Citibank, said they would charge a 3% transaction fee and use the daily official exchange rates as published in the Wall Street Journal.  Similarly, my credit union is part of an ATM network with participating devices in Toronto.  As long as I use those devices I would see the same terms as my credit card, but no non-network ATM fees.  Since I do not use a debit card, I didn't get any info on that process.

Busy shaking down 249... my 2nd day to do so: (Last sunday was first)

Last week:

tuned carbs...very rich.. no time to check float level

set timing... off 180 at spindle so dropped pump

Changed oil and filter

valve adjust

trouble shot crazy ignition... really screwed up

rad hoses weak

Today

- transmission fluid

- differential fluid

- coolant and new hoses

- rad cap from Blue 16psi

- grease u joints

- loose suspension bolts

- rad cap weak (I was worried it was head gasket)... I'll take one just incase I have to do it on the road.... why don't we.

- tighten steering

remaining

- front differential mount

- check tires and hubs/bearings

- change valve cover to pinball 2400 OHC (Jim K you know the one)

- set fuel level and tune carbs

- pack tools

We'll be in Montreal Monday Night and in TO on Tuesday.

busy!

• Like 1

Great Ziggy!  Lots of strange stuff on 249 to see,

Just going for a shakedown ride with Mrs Blue.  We'll have lots of tools and parts just in case... I don't trust the head gasket.

I still have to sort out the electrical tonight.  I needed to swap nozzles to get the carbs to work.  The originals were a little over sized.  Not sure if this was from age or the fact it is Oct 69. It has the right needles still.

The bottom is greased and graphite so it is mint under the silt... just working under there make you look black-face or coal miner.

I've been working hard to get my car ready for the trip as well. This will, by far, be the farthest road trip this Z has ever made with me at the helm.

I put in a new rear diff mount with customized easy to wrench hardware - I took lots of pics and I'll get to the details sometime when I get a chance.
While I was back there, I also sewed myself a replacement upper strap - Again, lots of pics and details.
I put in new fusible links - Old links seemed looked and worked just fine, but looks can be deceiving. I got voltage and current measurements to discuss later.

The last project I'm trying to get done is some homemade bumper ends for my newly retracted front bumper. They are Dilbert quality beta units at this point.