IGNORED

ZCON 2016 - Toronto (Who is going?)

The 407 is a toll road, though, and a navigation unit might try to direct you that way coming up from Niagara. The 401 and 403 can be a pain. One time I was in Milton and needed to go to Markham. I just drove on Steeles because I didn't want to deal with the 401, and it was probably faster to stay on the surface streets.

Thanks for the input guys, but don't get me wrong... I'm probably willing to pay the toll, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able  to.

Steve, are you saying that the toll roads that are electronic collection only with no provision for cash? I've seen that elsewhere, and they have a "retroactive" payment scheme where they take a pic of the license plate and bill you later. But I'm not sure if that will work with international travel.

Any input from the locals?

10 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Thanks for the input guys, but don't get me wrong... I'm probably willing to pay the toll, but I'm not sure I'm going to be able  to.

Steve, are you saying that the toll roads that are electronic collection only with no provision for cash? I've seen that elsewhere, and they have a "retroactive" payment scheme where they take a pic of the license plate and bill you later. But I'm not sure if that will work with international travel.

Any input from the locals?

That is correct. No cash. It's pure electronic, and they will send a bill. I know the state of New York cooperates with helping them track car owners.

29 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Crap. I wonder if they ream you with extra fees if you aren't in their system. I think PA is going to that type of arrangement.

If you have the foresight to sign up, you get one price. If you aren't signed up and they have to search for you, they punish you by charging you more.

That is precisely what happens. Just avoid the roads with ETR (Electronic Toll Roads), and you'll be fine.

Bailed on 249 after 100mi. alternator was going, wheel bearings louder than motor, wipers dead, headlights lost high beam and ignition key would only work in a strange way.  Gave it a good college try/!

God Bless previous owners!

Currently in Montreal. Should be there in 5 hrs after breakfast. 

Done. If it's as simple as avoiding the 407, I'll just do that.

Blue, Sorry that you couldn't quite get 249 to the show. Sounds like the good college try would have worked, but you just ran out of time. You needed a couple more days shakedown before you left home. Really looking forward to seeing you though. With or without 249!