IGNORED

Help Identify this part! Need Your expertise!

KiraK

5 minutes ago, KiraK said:

Great feed back NVZEE, certainly something I can pass to my mechanic! Hopefully it will be simple! 

Didn't mean to scare you off but tracing a wonky circuit can test your comfort level and spirit of adventure. These things are good to be familiar with, just in case something leaves you stuck somewhere.

Found another diagram that shows the basic components: 

Maybe Horn Relay is the horn button mechanism.  The switch shown is a manual switch, releasing power from the fuse panel to the horn and back to the combo switch through the coil shown.  Can't find a Horn Button on the diagram.

Your best bet is to just check for power at H on the fuse panel, then probe the parts at the horn button area for power.

SteveJ probably knows.  A title change might catch his eye.  Others might know also.  My horn has always worked and I have a 76.

2 minutes ago, NVZEE said:

Didn't mean to scare you off but tracing a wonky circuit can test your comfort level and spirit of adventure. These things are good to be familiar with, just in case something leaves you stuck somewhere.

Found another diagram that shows the basic components: 

Much better but is that for 1972?  My snippet was from what's supposed to be the 1972 BE chapter.  The fuse panels are different so that should give a clue.

Great info all! I plan to stop by the z shop shortly to try a couple of your suggestions, I'll let you know what I learn. 

Sounds like the first order of business is to assess power. So I'll try getting the horn to work with screwdriver first, then if no luck check connection and fuse box. If still no luck, sounds like I may have become an electrical sleuth and try my luck at the diagram. 

All of this information and postings gives me a great place to start! 

Im off on another z adventure! 

Z u later! Thanks! 

K

The lil z lady! 

• Like 1

Hi gang, just wanted to update and thank all for your horn help :) 

Actually, nothing quite yet to report, as I'm still knee deep in getting my paint work completed, then she heads for Upholstry, after that I'll be tackling the mechanical issues, including my horn gremlin! I'll keep you all posted as soon as I get to the mechanical items. 

As of yesterday my girl is getting ready to put her makeup on ;), see below...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by KiraK
  • Like 1

Ut ooh....

Found a little cancer on my girl! The first time! Most of the damage around the upper right tail light, as seen in pictures. When sanded and removed, Had a small break through in the deck top. Left side had just a tad bit of corrosion, so  removed factory caulking and sanded and sealing that area as well. 

1st photo: Left side corrosion on deck lid. 

2nd photo: Right side deck lid after cleaning. Showed small break through in sheet metal. :( That's the worst of it.

3rd photo and 4th photo: Right side rust above right tail light, extends towards the license plate. 

Body man spent the day removing and making proper repair. 

Have since moved forward with the next paint step. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Just out of the paint booth! Not yet sanded and buffed. She's currently on her way to upholstry for a full clean, seat repair, antenna, install of soundproof padding throughout... Too much to list. I'll keep you posted as the progress continues! :) 

Such fun!

K

The lil z lady :) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

It's looking good, KiraK. When you're finished with the refresh, you'll have to take it over to Cars and Coffee in Henderson one Saturday. I'm going to be bringing mine soon, and I've seen a couple of other S30's there in the past two weeks. Anymore, and we'll be able to start a local club! (lol)

Mike

• Like 1

Love that you posted me on this! I've been looking for a z get together here in Vegas! 

Looks like all past clubs are defunct.

So sad!

I would love to come!

Can you send me location information and dates of get together? Also when you plan to go, and I'll make sure to try and coordinate my calendar! 

Your right, maybe we could get some club momentum going? 

I have become online friends with Brian May, he is the president of The Mid-West Z chapter... I think that's his club? Anyway he's very knowledgeable and can surely give us some direction regarding how to get a club started. 

I also recently met a Mechanic shop owner who specializes in Z's although they tend to do some pretty wild things to them, but amazing work none the less! He's also very knowledgeable and knows many of the older z folk in the valley who were active at one time. 

Anyway, point is, I think there could be some interest if someone could just start the process!

Lets chat! Lmk about the get together, and we can discuss. 

Z u soon! 

K

Ok z friends, an update on my horn finally, and getting this thread back on track...

(I apologize for derailing this thread slightly by posting pictures of my z's progress, just having so much fun and wanted to share with those I know feel the same way. ) 

Ok back to the horn. It's getting power, the horn will beep, then stop. My mechanic, a knowledgable z man, thinks my horn mechanism under the pad, is worn and needs to be replaced. Sigh! 

So im back to square one it seems. So I guess I'm in need of the whole horn mechanism. Can anybody offer any help on how to find one? 

They come up on eBay rarely, and when they do, they are usually expensive. I haven't found them on any of the z specialty on line parts stores either.

So, where to look? Does anyone have one they don't need? I'll keep watching eBay, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would gladly welcome them! 

Thanks to all for previously weighing in with your thoughts and comments.. Now that you have helped me have claify the problem, I now know I need a new horn mechanism/assembly.

For reference: 1972 240z

Share your expertise my friends! 

Thanks much,

K

19 hours ago, KiraK said:

Ok back to the horn. It's getting power, the horn will beep, then stop. My mechanic, a knowledgable z man, thinks my horn mechanism under the pad, is worn and needs to be replaced. Sigh! 

There's not a lot to the "mechanism:".  A spring holds one metal piece away from another metal piece.  When the two metal pieces touch, the horn beeps.  If it beeps it should keep beeping.  Was your mechanic really focused on it or did he just make an offhand comment?  

And how was he making it beep?  Not really clear that you had the complete assembly together and were pushing it as a normal horn button, or doing something else.  I thought your horn button was falling apart anyway.

• Like 1