IGNORED

Help Identify this part! Need Your expertise!

KiraK

OK Z Friends!

I need your expertise please...and in a hurry! I have a 1972 240 z that is missing the under the horn pad assembly. I have located one from a 77 280 Z, will it work for my 240z? I will not be using the horn pad from the 77, I will be using my 72 240z horn pad. Thoughts? Will it need modification, or will it just plain not work?

If not, anyone know where I can locate just the assembly? I'm right at the finish line with my z being ready, but really need this assembly!

I'm attaching a picture of the parts I am looking at from the 77 280z.

Ok my fellow Zer's :rolleyes:, do your thing!

Many thanks!!!

K

The lil z lady ;)

Horn Assembly 77 280z.png

Edited by KiraK

5 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

Looks like some of the parts are the same, but not the complete assembly.  Changed July 1973.  Click on the double black arrow at the bottom of the illustration to see pre- and after.

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/steering/steering-wheel#1

HUGE help Zed!!!

I'm going to print these two diagrams and see if I can understand the assembly better. However, in looking at them briefly it looks like the parts I'm looking at would not work. Is that your assessment also? Love your thoughts!

K

The lil z lady :)

My Steering wheel now... sorry for the glare, but you can kinda see what I've got. The metal clips in the round plastic piece that the horn pad "pops" onto seem pretty worn.  Thoughts?

IMG_0246.JPG

#19 seems to be the bottom piece of the assembly, and they're the same. So it looks like you might be able to use the compete horn assembly.  But I think that the 280Z "button" is bigger than 240Z.  It might look like a giant marshmallow in the middle of your 240Z wheel.  Look at part #2 on the #1 wheel page.  They show the progression of horn buttons.  Which also seems to imply that all of those buttons will work on the early wheel.  So, guessing, it looks like those parts will work.  

Cliff/siteunseen would know.  He has early and late cars.  Quite a collection.  But he started beers hours ago and it's late over there.  Might have to wait.

Buttons.PNG

• Like 2

I think that she's planning to buy a 77 horn button assembly.   The diagram shows an exploded view but the button contains all of those parts.  So, as site says, if the three holes match, the button and its parts will work.  

I think it will work, but won't look quite right.  You can always resell it though, when you find the right one.

Horn captures.PNG

• Like 1

Actually, all of the Z horn buttons look like giant marshmallows.  So if you just want a functional button, the 77 will probably do.

BUT.  I just re-read your first post.  I think that the button and the internals are an assembly.  So you will  be using the horn button if you want a horn that beeps.  I think.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/50-3154

Hi Zed and Siteunseen... glad you weren't too many beers down!:D

Thanks men!! Lots of good help! I still have questions and unfortunately the horn pad itself is with my car at the shop <_< so I cant post a photo... (thinking...well maybe)... I'll look for a photo and post if possible. The inside of my horn pad is like he says, looks like a hollowed out marshmallow. But unlike other pads Ive seen, for say... the 280 zx... where there is a metal type housing that sits inside the pad, mine has nothing.

I'm sure tonight when I get home and study the diagram it will make more sense. Huge thanks for that Zed! Site if you have a moment tomorrow to send those photos or anything else that may help, Id appreciate it! Any other thoughts? Can I buy this darn thing new somewhere? If so, what would it be called? Well Zed and I are west coasters, but its starting to get late. Site you must be in ZZZ land by now! Any other thoughts are much appreciated, as I need to either buy this part or find something else where.

G'night guys, catch ya on the flip side!

Hey Zed, you heading to the Z bash in LA next month? That's a big part of my rush... trying to get the old girl ready to show ;) 

Thanks

K

The lil z lady

Weird... just took me to a list of steering wheels offered by the website?

I found some photos of my horn pad... Not great, but it gives you an idea of what I have.  Note, there is a small crack in my pad, but it doesn't seem to impact it much. I plan to replace when I find one in better shape. I also understand you can do amazing things with zip ties! Anyway... so now you have a picture of the wheel and of the pad. Does it look like I'm missing something?

Thoughts? ^_^

Thanks!

K

IMG_4529.JPG

IMG_4531.JPG

fmvjv6jjdh0e.jpg