IGNORED

Looking for SU carbs for sale for a 1972 240 z

KiraK

Sorry, just sold my last set of SU's that were refurbished.  Not sure when I'll get another set of decent cores to rebuild, but I'll keep you in mind and let ya know.  Here's some pictures of my prior work.  For someone who is adventurous, SU carbs are really very simple to rebuild.  zTherepy sells a great rebuild kit.

http://jarvas240z.blogspot.com/2015/10/240z-round-top-carburetor-kit-for-sale.html

• Like 1

Hi Gang!

Thanks for the suggestions, and thoughts! I did get a post from a member who may have a set that need to be rebuilt, so I am waiting for a response from him.

For Chuck and Mark...

4 hours ago, cbuczesk said:

Can yours be rebuilt? My friend has owned and raced Zs (using SU carbs) since 1971. He can rebuild them if you're interested. You can email him (Jeff Lucas) here: jlucas@kuhncom.net

Chuck

2 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Hi Kira

I'm curious what is wrong with your SUs? I'm assuming they're 3 screw, round tops or do you have something else on it? DGV Webers?

So do you really want to hear my sad, sob story??? Get out your towel, this one will make you cringe!

When I first started this project back up in 2013, I took my Z to a shop to have the carbs serviced as it was running rough. (You would be too after being a couch potato for several years!) I didn't realize then the value or rarity of my SU's. I was told by the mechanic that the carbs were bad and needed to be replaced. (I now realize they only needed to be tuned by an appropriate mechanic! ) They were replaced by what I have since been told are a poor knock off. I paid a hefty bill, and off I went... Not knowing I had been completely scammed! Lesson learned, only use a mechanic that you know can do the job!, and that you trust! The car runs and sounds great, but I am just sick over the loss of my original SU's!

So I am hoping to eventually right a wrong for my girl! Big Expensive lesson learned! And for those of you thinking... She should have asked the mechanic to give the parts back. Another lesson learned... Always ask for your parts back!!!

My beautiful SU's I'm sure were sold by said mechanic who realized what they were and what he could get for them. Hopefully they found their way to someone elese's lovely 240 Z.

End Sob Story... See I told you that you didn't really want to know! Thanks again for all the helpful advice and support. Hopefully with the help of my new Z friends, mistakes like these can be avoided in the future!

K

BTW Mark, since I now have nothing to reference too, what should the SU's be for my 72? 3 screw, 4 screw? Any other advice is appreciated!

Edited by KiraK

If you're really really looking for stock, then the 72's were unique to that year. They included water passages into the carb bodies that did not exist on previous versions. And different intake manifolds to match.

If your heart is not set on factory proper, then you have other year options with some simple mods.

• Like 1

Kira, 

I see you have a couple of posts going at once.

Here is a pic of the 3 screw carbs I picked up off a 280ZX that had grenaded the motor. 

I believe these are the correct carbs for a 72. Perhaps someone here could verify that. 

E88 manifolds look to have a small cavern into the carbs for the coolant. the insulators have the two extra holes for coolant, as CO stated above.

The PO told me his car was running fine until a rod came out of the side of the block to say hello. (his phrase)

They look to be all there but I would recommend they be gone through and cleaned up before running them. They at least need new gaskets, oil, etc.

Again other members can chime in and verify these as being 72 and complete.

TZ

IMG_0306.JPG

• Like 1

What is your build date? If it came into existence June 1972 or after, it probably had flat top SUs. (according to info at Ztherapy) That may explain the previous mechanic's decision to change the carbs. Very few "orig" Zs that had flat tops still run them. BTW, it was a good decision depending on what you ended up with. I'm still curious.

TZ's carb set-up above looks to be correct for pre-June 72s back to mid 71 and as complete as most people want them. You'll notice the balance tube between the carbs has a few plugs and unused bolt holes. Virtually everything that is missing is non critical and was emissions related. Those are, I believe, the ones the Cap'n are describing. Probably a bit more coolant plumbing than the early 4-screw carbs but good carbs none the less. 

If you're going back to SUs I (we) highly recommend getting the DVD "Just SUs" from Ztherapy. You'll never trust your carbs to a mechanic again and you'll have more knowledge about SUs than most "experts". 

Anyone want to correct or add any additional info?

• Like 2

Thanks Mark, 

I had thought the flat tops were 73 (240) and 74 (260) but it would make sense that mid year 72 might be sold as a 73. (Ergo flat tops)

Anyway for reference (also for sale) Flat tops with N33 manifolds (note the balance tube has a place for an EGR valve). 

These are less complete missing some linkage and the balance tube has some messed up threads. 

These also had coolant jackets I believe.

I agree completely with MM about the "Just SU" DVD lots of good info there. These carbs look more complicated than they really are.

I have Z Therapy 4 screw on my '70. 

IMG_0307.JPG

Kira,

You probably knew this already, but since it's my job... None of the Z's carbs were actually made by SU (Skinner's Union). They were all made by Hitachi who licensed the design from SU. So if you're seeing the Hitachi logo on your replacement carbs and thinking it's a cheap knock-off, then that's not the case. They may be cheap knock-offs of REAL  SU's made by Skinners Union, but that's what all the Z's came with.

In reality, none of the Z's had "SU's". They all had Hitachi's the were shaped like SU's. Everyone just calls them SU's because that's what they look like.

Thinking this might be an "obvious" issue.  :)

And I forgot... So how about some pics of these cheap knockoffs? I've never heard of such a thing?

Edited by Captain Obvious
Memory like a goldfish