IGNORED

Blowby-too much smoke!

zmanoside

7 hours ago, zmanoside said:

Also, wanted to add, I just spoke with Eiji Hosomi from Datsun Spirit. What a stand up guy. In no way was I looking for compensation on his part for any of this, but he still offered to send a complete set of used "but in really good shape" pistons and rods for free for me to use in the process. He had no idea why this happened, he was actually speechless. He said this is unheard of. So, all I can do is wish for the best. 

Thanks for completing the circle.  These engines are very susceptible to detonation damage and to detonation.  Even the best parts can't withstand detonation.

13 hours ago, zmanoside said:

Got a call this morning bright and early. Rings from #6 were broken and in oil pan. #6 piston has a cracked skirt. #5 piston skirt is also cracked with damaged, but still in place rings. Mechanic called to ask if he could proceed to remove the rest of the pistons to inspect the remaining pistons and cylinders. Obviously I said yes. He said the #6 cylinder didn't actually look too bad, and will most likely be fine with a good honing, and the rods and bearings looked good too. So I think at this point its looking like a new set of pistons and rings. Hopefully all of the cylinders will be good with just a hone....

I have a question. How do these rings get into an oil pan even if broken?

P1020273.JPG

There is a small gap, very small, between the piston and the cylinder wall, but made bigger with a broken ring. The gap is probably bigger when the car is cold too. The broken ring fragments get wedged in between the the piston and the cylinder wall until it falls down below into the depths of the oil pan? It's probably more likely forced down through that gap on combustion. Just trying to answer your question with my limited knowledge of internals! I think I must be close to right!

8 hours ago, Lumens said:

I have a question. How do these rings get into an oil pan even if broken?

P1020273.JPG

The cracked and or broken piston skirts explain how the pieces of the ring got onto the pan. My question is, was did the destruction caused by a bad tune-up (preignition and detonation) or did the replacement head raise the compression to the point of preignition and or detonation?. Low octane gas would have made either scenario worse.

Will do. I called the mechanic today just to ask him not to throw the Pistons away and that I wanted them.....he says, oh ya, the Pistons I ordered are not the flat top Pistons you wanted, I can't find them anywhere, so, you get me some Pistons and I'll put them in for you.....so I got online and ordered some standard size 81-83 flat tops from zcar source of Arizona. The gent, Jeff that helped me on the phone was awesome and they will ship the Pistons to the shop, should be there Monday.....which takes me to, what is the PROPER way to break these new Pistons in guys...I have an hour drive home on the freeway...to do 65mph in this car will take me to around 35/3600 rpm...hopefully that is not too much for them...do I just need to stay below 5k? Or...

4 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Interesting that you got Standard.  Eiji didn't bore a size over?  Might check bore size with your guy.

Break-in depends more on the rings I think.  But most products come with instructions.  Follow those.

You know that is what I was thinking too. Just put rings on some standard (new or old) pistons, some bearings and reassemble?

Not that there is anything wrong with that. Anyone can do that.

Why spend extra money to have that work sent to Eiji? Does not compute. Must be more to the story.

Edited by Lumens

Previous owner sent me specs on his order with Eiji. 86mm flat top Pistons. Maybe he wanted Eiji to do the work because he's familiar with datsuns. That's the first thing I did when I knew that I didn't want to do it myself, I wanted a Datsun mechanic to do the work. The previous owner has been nothing but honest on every single thing from the beginning with this car and at this point I have absolutely zero reasons to not believe what he is telling me.

More questions...

What's the brand of the pistons?  Is it possible that the skirts were too long and actually touched the crankshaft?  Still not seeing how bits of ring got past the oil scraper and the piston structure.  Yes, there's an indentation but it closes up at the bottom.  No obvious path for the top ring fragments.

Kind of looks like somebody opened it up, maybe when they changed the head, and really hacked a bunch of stuff up.  Maybe cracked the piston skirts when they were in there.  Or had the pistons and rods out and cracked the skirts then, playing with them like rattles.