IGNORED

Choke Cable replacement

This afternoon I received the .055 wire (both SS, p/n 9495K91 and carbon steel, p/n 9666K68) that I ordered from McMaster-Carr. Both wire types look to me like they will do the job and measured very close to 0.055" by micrometer.  Both wires seem to have about the same spring back capability.  That comment is a bit subjective as I just tried to feel the amount of effort it took to bend the wire until it would not flex back to its original state.  When I compared the bending effort to do the same test on the original choke wire from my car, it took less effort to bend the wire to the point it would not flex back.  I would say that the original choke cable wire has a lower ultimate tensile strength that either of the new wires.

Hopefully on the weekend I will be able to test both of the new wire types in my car.

56f1bc24c9cf9_ChokeCable-.055MusicWireAS56f1bc402ebad_ChokeCable-055SSWireASTMA3

FYI, For other Canadians trying to order from McMaster-Carr, don't bother unless you can order through a company or they will cancel your order.  I first set up a web account with them and they sent me the message the next morning:

"Due to the complexity of U.S. export regulations, McMaster-Carr accepts international orders only from businesses. This decision also applies to orders shipping within the United States, because it is based on the final destination of the items. We cannot accept this order or future orders."

Luckily with one phone call I was able to add my company name to my web account and then I could place my order.  All in all the service was good and I will use them in the future.

Mike

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Hi All,

Thanks for the post.  I will save this in case I ever need to replace, but I might have gotten lucky.    I'm a 240 newbie who just bought a very nice '73 original that had been sitting for 22 years in a garage. Of the many things that needed replacing, the choke cable was stuck.  It would move with pliers and generally not in bad shape with the original expanding rubber gaskets still in good shape/  My mechanic didn't offer much except to replace it.  Zcarsource has a rebuild program for 150, but after some poking around the net, I decided to try PJ1 cable lube.  The cable was out of the car so I could let gravity help.  Squirted PJ1 in the loop-end and within a couple minutes it was sliding by hand.

• Like 2