IGNORED

Stock E31 Head Factory Rocker Valve Guide "Lash Pad" Thickness

oemz

I marked what looks like the wipe pattern.  Is that right?  Looks like what rossiz got from CaliforniaDatsun.  Way off, wrong lash pads from the beginning.  So you were right to redo everything.  Do you know the history of the head?  Love a good story.

Wipe.PNG

Yes, the marks in red are correct.

I agree, it was best to change them out. The car used to belong to a member here, see link below.

I purchased the Z in January, on Ebay from the person who purchased it from the member on this board. The car is now slightly different cosmetically from the link below. I replaced the aftermarket mirrors with a brand new, correct, driver side only unit.  I've been mostly focusing on the engine bay and changing things to my liking as far as performance and the aesthetics of it. It's not a matching numbers car because it threw the #6 rod through the block prior to my ownership.

The car was very well restored and I really lucked out on the purchase.

Here's a picture of it now and one of the engine bay since my ownership. 

I replaced the MSA exhaust system with a Full Fujitsubo header and exhaust system, de-chromed the valve cover and wet blasted, re-plated hardware, and obviously the rockers and lash pads.

I have a set of brand new old stock complete 40mm Triple Mikuni's i'm planning on installing next week so I'm very excited.

IMG_8963.JPG

IMG_9027.JPG

• Like 2

Somebody bought it from d240zx2, then sold it on eBay to you?  And somewhere in there it threw a rod?  Wouldn't be surprised to find that that is a DatsunParts/CaliforniaDatsun engine or head.

Carefully inspect the cam lobes like Chickenman recommended.  Some of the cam lobes might have slipped off of the ends of the wear pads.

In the link provided, D240zx2 mentions that it threw a rod, so it must have been before or during his time. My guess is they replaced the block and reused everything since it's all still a series 1.

The lobes looked fine with nothing that stood out. Motor is very strong and I've had no issues.

Edited by oemz

Didn't mean to imply that you have a bad engine.  Could be that somebody just assumed that the lash pads they had were right for the cam.  Or they replaced the cam and used the old pads.  Looks like they just didn't do the final check.  Although, some people will run on the inside of the wear pad to get a little bit more lift at the valves, but yours look like on the razor's edge, not the racer's.  Anyway, good that you caught it before real damage was done.  Carry on...

Thanks guys. 

Zed,

I knew what you meant, no harm. I agree, about it being razor's edge. Glad I changed it. I'll prob re-check it after I run it some more. I'll take a look at the link when I get home.

Chickenman,

I didnt use use flash but I'll make sure to get a good shot of them so it comes out clear with no reflections. I was trying to focus on the center wear line rather than the whole wipe, but I'll get it on the next shot of all of them lined up.

Here are some pictures, I hope they come out clear. First thing I'd like to point out is that only two pairs of the rockers are stamped with the same number and the rest have complete different stamping's. (One pair pictured together.) Not sure if this is an issue, but they don't seem to be Nissan rockers let alone uniform part #'s. I'm much happier now knowing the new ones are all exactly the same.

I arranged the rockers in wear pattern starting with the most centered wipe pattern to the least starting from the left.

The rib like wear marks on the wipe surface look worse than they are, but are actually very smooth to the touch. It appears that the wipe was not clean or maybe to tight of an adjustment causing excessive wear or heat spots/marks??

The lash pads seem to have the most wear with significant wear in the center.

Let me know if you guys need more pics or better ones.

Zed, 

I read the link you provided. That's unreal. Who knows, but the wipe on some of the rockers are very similar. There are many levels of workmanship to everything in this world, and research really pays off in the end. I'm pretty meticulous generally and usually look for someone who matches or exceeds my capabilities so that I end up as satisfied as I can be.

IMG_9151.JPG

IMG_9152.JPG

IMG_9150.JPG

IMG_9153.JPG

IMG_9154.JPG

IMG_9155.JPG

IMG_9156.JPG

IMG_9157.JPG

IMG_9158.JPG

IMG_9159.JPG

IMG_9160.JPG

IMG_9161.JPG