IGNORED

Would you paint your Series I like this before putting it up for sale?

djwarner

It looks like I will be transplanting my LFX into a Miata and selling my Series I to finance the project.

Then the mishap occurred. While parking the Z into the garage, a piece of lumber fell against the passenger front fender above and behind the wheel opening and jammed itself against the wall. The resulting dent is easily repairable but will require repainting. While discussing the repair at the body shop, I happened to pull out a photo of a BRE tribute paint scheme I had once considered. Since I am going to repaint the fender, hood and door anyway.......

The question posed is would the tribute paint scheme enhance the salability of a Series I matching numbers rust free car. It is currently a gun metal metallic gray. The attached photos show how I would paint it. (thanks to Revtech for the source tribute image).

Opinions of our esteemed members are encouraged.

20151221_160458.thumb.jpeg.35f0c57c738bdRevtec.thumb.jpg.44622ab7e80a70a50dbcb62

Edited by djwarner

9 hours ago, djwarner said:

HUH Jim, I just noticed our serial numbers are 2254 apart but our engine numbers are only 817 apart.

Hi DJ,

I'd say that only reinforces Carl Beck's comments about the randomness of the assembly line.  Your's is a December car, right?  They were probably built within a few days of each other.

Trivia: I just noticed that was my 1,000th post.  Woohooo!

Jim

Edited by jfa.series1

Hi Jim,

BTW never had a chance to congratulate you on your Gold Cup.

I took your advice to heart and sent off an Email to BRE. Will see what they say.

Yes, my car was made in 12/70. According to Carl, the last SN made in December was 18124. About 3000 Zs were produced that year. If the production rate was near uniform, that would make mine produced some time around Christmas.

Edited by djwarner

I think you should keep the gun metal gray and make whatever repairs are needed but no more.  Since you are planning to sell your car, take a look at the past few months of completed auctions on Ebay.  You will see the true high sellers were original looking and represented cars.  Your color is not original but I would not go down the path of any race car tributes or anything extreme.  Keep it nice and stock-ish as that will bring the most money.  I am sorry to hear you are considering selling your car and the lumber event that took place.  On the bright side, your car has TONS of curb appeal and no doubt will bring a very fair price.

Edited by Hardway

What the heck is lumbar? I thought that was back support in seats. So did a seat fall on your z? LOL

Lumber I know. And the lsx is the motor in the camaro your wife got hit in, right? you're going to put that in a miata? Interesting.

How is your wife doing now? Better I'm hoping.

You'll still help us out after the z is gone, also hoping. 

Best of luck!

Cliff