Zedyone_kenobi

Rear spoiler for a 1971 240Z

I bought the MSA spoiler with the flat portion and the quality is OK. Some of the gel coat needs to be sanded down and blended.. Not bad overall especially when you compare it to their plastic bumpers; horrible.

When I was dry fitting it however I noticed that the center notch, where the hatch lock button goes, is off centered. If I do center it, the entire spoiler will be off center by a few mm. Is this "normal" and did yours come out the same?

PMG

Great question Pmg, I did not buy mine the PO did, so it appears to fit okay.  IF it had any work I cannot tell. I know the corners are all rough and not crisp like I would want. I think I am going to go with the BRE one in hopes the original mold is better. We will see.

On January 20, 2016 at 6:21 AM, moelk said:

I like body color for the wing. Im thinking about installing one on my car.image.thumb.png.c85a9fbe1a04b9473bdd355a

I'm with you moelk .......my guess is that Stephen will end up painting it the same color as the car......just my intuition.

• Like 1

Guy, curse you as you may be right. Not sure though.  I am going to paint the BRE one to look just like the rear tail like finish surrounds first. If I do not like it, I will have to get it repainted the body color. Only problem with that is I will have to take it into get paint matched, $$$$$. I recall my front valance was right at 500 bucks.  OUCH!

Okay, this is the color combo I am going to try to replicate... With the wing matching the rear tails, I think it looks less 'afterthought-y'

OH I have also ordered the euro bumpers.  Now if only somebody would make affordable clear head light covers with the stainless trim. Didn't somebody start a thread on that a while ago.

240z-7.jpg

I like my headlight covers, they fit nice on silver cars. You should start hunting for a set.image.thumb.jpeg.e7526ef6e49a7d352e3dd78image.jpeg.3b508c0ad437914cdf98ad6cdf221

• Like 1

This is my original euro spec 240z.

The rear wing (original mounted on euro spec cars) color matches the taillight surrounding. 

It's a must in my opinion if you don't do it in body color. 

Both look good but I like silver cars better if the wing are body color.

image.thumb.jpeg.12614b960300ab1653f3d62

Sadly I sold the car a couple of months ago.

Edited by moelk

This is what mine looked like. Tail panel, spoiler and wheels all the same color.

This is not really the true Nissan light panel cover color. I found a color pretty close

and repainted all 3 items the same.

my240k.jpg

• Like 1

On January 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM, moelk said:

I like my headlight covers, they fit nice on silver cars. You should start hunting for a set.image.thumb.jpeg.e7526ef6e49a7d352e3dd78

image.jpeg.3b508c0ad437914cdf98ad6cdf221

Oh you evil person 

may all your children be born naked

Spoiler came in today 

from BRE .

super fast shipping! Great service 

the finish will require a bit of rework due to some scratches and gouges in the surface but overall it I pretty darn nice!

• Like 3

Unfortunately, I have been sidetracked on this project. I was dumb yet again and started a big project when I am in the middle of a small one.  Pulling the dash out of my roadster is going to take a while... :)

But I think I can work in time to fit and paint this thing.  I am having a desire for some newer colored wheels as well....Oh well, this is why we have these cars! :)  I added some racing bling this weekend in the form of some static cling decals.  I am going to call it the summer of the race car.

24701181176_0ebbeb0ac9_b.jpg

24701180676_391b5a3278_b.jpg

24099212204_beaaca0137_b.jpg

I would really love some 14x7 wheels so I can run some fat sidewall tires and complete the vintage racing look. I think the BRE car ran 14x8 right.  But good luck finding those. Still powder coating my panasports flat black or dark grey would be a good look.  Or I guess I could pick up some rewinds, as that may be cheaper.  Still having fun with her though.   I will post pics of my new spoiler for a comparison.

You can get Rewinds really cheap from time to time from Discount Tire Direct.  I bought two sets of 15x7 for my 260Z race car for $360 a set delivered.

3 hours ago, Zedyone_kenobi said:

I think the BRE car ran 14x8 right.  But good luck finding those. Still powder coating my panasports flat black or dark grey would be a good look.  Or I guess I could pick up some rewinds, as that may be cheaper.  Still having fun with her though.   I will post pics of my new spoiler for a comparison.

BRE ran 14X7 wheels. The wheels shown on my car above are 14X6-1/2 Minilites painted gunmetal.

I sold those Minilites to a vintage racer in Texas that runs an MGB. Datsun and MGB = same same.

I then changed over to the gunmetal 15X7 Rewinds. I would rather have them all gunmetal without the polished outer rim.

I also want to get the my car a bit lower just like moelk's car.

Charles....The tires are BF Goodrich KDW's......size 205 55 16. They are no longer available in Z sizes.

Guy

On 11/14/2016 at 8:51 AM, Diseazd said:

Chuck is adding a rear spoiler on my 70 white Z.....I just like the look!

IMG_2692.JPG

IMG_2693.JPG

IMG_2694.JPG

IMG_2695.JPG

that looks sweet! im debating adding one myself. i love the looks, but i have read that these cars dont need the down-force in the rear

Wow guy 

that is incredible 

the white really pops 

standing ovation...you have me strongly considering 16" wheels 

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi

Thanks Stephen... I just think spoilers add a lot to the look of the 240Z. BTW, did you ever paint your rear spoiler the same color as the car? My guess is you'll end up going that route......just a hunch. The 16 inch wheels are my favorite, but my silver 73 has 15's and I really like them too....just can't quite get the selection of performance rubber that you can get in the 16's. Regards to your family.

Guy

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1