Zedyone_kenobi

Rear spoiler for a 1971 240Z

I have been itching to try to put a more accurate fitting BRE replica rear spoiler on my car.  So I pulled mine off and I need to do some tiny little scratch touch ups. 

While I was doing that I thought how some cars really looked 'the business' with a black rear spoiler. 

What color were the spoilers when the dealer added them? They did paint match them.  Datsun did not supply the car with rear spoilers did they? 

If I wanted to put on an accurate rear spoiler, which one would have been picked back in the day. I am thinking of going with a BRE from www.bre2.com and order from Gayle and Peter.  But should I get it paint matched, or should I just paint it the same color as the rear tail light panel?

What was the typical way they came?

The dealer added spoilers ( both front and rear) were BRE type to mimic Morton's Road Race of Champions class winner. I'm guessing it was owners option. Personally I like the rear spoiler painted the color of the car....the front spoiler a charcoal gray or black.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Your car are always a fantastic inspiration Guy! 

But it sounds like I could go either way if it was an owners choice. I may paint my current one the same as the rear tail light panel, or an even darker flat black like your front spoiler Guy. 

Then I will order a new BRE style from BRE or MSA.

The spoilers on your cars, are they MSA? Do they use the two bolt attachment or the 6 bolt?

I bought my BRE type spoilers from MSA, then used wood clamps to clamp them to the front valence. I drilled 5 holes and bolted on with stainless steel bolts and large flat washers. I can't remember how many bolts were in the rear spoiler, but we used a thin rubber spacer (O ring) around each bolt to allow a small space for water to pass under the spoiler and seal the bolt hole water tight. Whatever you like is the right way as far as color for the spoilers. 

BRE spoilers look great body colored or as a contrasting color.   

My plan is to install a BRE spoiler on my 517 Light Gold 280Z and paint the spoiler dark gray to match my Panasports.  I haven't yet decided whether to go with chrome or powder coated Futofab 240Z bumpers.  If I get the painted bumpers, I'll recoat them in matching dark gray.

Here are some good pictures of my experience with the BRE2.net spoiler that I recently acquired.  As with any of these fiberglass pieces, some "work" will be required to have them fit seamlessly.  Once my car goes into paint I'll be sanding down the high spots of the BRE rear spoiler to get that proper fitment.  I like the BRE because it mounts with 6 screws rather than just 2 as a lot of the other versions have.  Best of luck.

http://jarvas240z.blogspot.com/2015/05/bre-rear-spoiler-install.html

The dealer had already installed the 1st-gen BRE Spook and rear spoiler on my car when I bought it back in '71, they painted both in body color.  I stuck with these choices when I resto'd the car.  My general observation is that body colored front and rear spoilers will add visual "bulk" to the car - provided the car is not a very dark color to begin with.  Body color will also cause the add-on to better blend into or accentuate car's lines.  I second Diseazd's comment about the use of small O-rings as seals against the body.  As so many of us have said - your car, your choices.

SAM_1649.JPG

SAM_1681.JPG

Mr. Brock has "re-designed" the rear spoiler. He wanted to make it fit clear across the top of the rear quarter - so the outside edges of the rear spoiler lines up with the body line {or in the case of the BRE Livery - with the paint line}.  The original was just a little short of reaching the body line on each side.

Some people found out about the new redesigned one's before they were even publicly announced.. and they sold out. So if you want the new one - it may take a while to get an order filled. You can see more about it on the BRE2 Facebook site.

Nissan did offer the rear spoiler in Japan...Because of BRE's Contract with Nissan, BRE was allowed to sell any of the performance options direct to the public. BRE also supplied most of them to the Authorized DATSUN Dealers her in North America because they cost less to produce locally, than to produce and ship them from Japan.

At the Dealership I worked at - it was pretty much a Customer Choice related to paint or not. So we bolted them on Black.. but if the Customer wanted we'd paint them for a bit extra money. On a few 240's for the Showroom Floor - they were painted body color. Those 240Z's usually got full optional equipment - in order to display everything on the car. {spoilers, mag's, body side molding, Racing Strips, etc}.

FWIW,

Carl B.

• Like 1

Well I have the spoiler off the car.  I may paint it dark and and see if I like it, if i hate it, I can always sand it again and repaint it body color.  

• Like 1

I think I may try my hand at plastidipping the OEM spoiler.

That way if I like the look, I can get a new BRE style and actually paint it black, or if I do not, I can peel off the 'dip' and have my OEM one back to glorious faded 901 silver.

Sounds like a solid plan.  Be sure to post pics of the coated spoiler.

I'm undecided whether I like the original or the new version better for a street car.  

23776492004_013dd2f713_b.jpg

Well here it is.  This is just plasti-dip flat black. I think if I painted it the same color as the rear tail light panel, it would look better. But overall, any opinions?

One interesting thing. My car at one time had the BRE 6 bolt spoiler on it.  I had holes drilled for it. However my current spoiler appears to be an MSA version with only 2 bolts holding it at the very outer edge of the trunk lid.  One great thing that came from all of this is I reshimmed the hatch, and now all my squeaks have stopped! It was a very loose fitting trunk hatch before, but I took all but one shim from each side and it closes with an almost European thump now. I am VERY impressed at how well it turned out (read as: I got lucky)

Hurray

Edited by Zedyone_kenobi
    • Like 1

I don't love it black, but I do like the contrast.  In the gray color of the tail light panel, I think you'd have a winner!

So, are you saying that the MSA version is better, or just that it's different?  I need to buy a BRE spoiler and I'm torn between the MSA, BRE1 or BRE2.

Oh no judgement on better or worse, just different. The BRE has 6 mounting points. The MSA has only two. That is all I was saying. I will probably order a can of tail light paint from http://www.classicdatsun.com/

And I plan to run a BRE spoiler when I have time to find one.  Like the contrast as well. The only question is do I get one with the flat part for the 240Z badge or plain. I am kind of partial to the plain. 

I agree, I like the contrasting color.  I'm hoping once my car is ready for paint to match my BRE Spoiler color to the small bump-up section of my hood in a flat black.

92528-YM-ORANGE-1970-Datsun-240Z-Diecast

I have many different colors on my 918 colored car, my avatar. Black spoilers to match the rocker stripes, gunmetal wheels match the rear finisher. Msa has some satin. black rewinds I wish I had but they didn't have them when I bought my gunmetals, damn it!!! I would buy them but recently quit the easiest job I've ever had. Never work for friends or family, they get the I'm smarter than you or you wouldn't be working here for me, I would be working for you. Which is true but don't throw that in my face more than once asshole. Rant over, thanks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zedyone_kenobi said:

Oh no judgement on better or worse, just different. The BRE has 6 mounting points. The MSA has only two. That is all I was saying. I will probably order a can of tail light paint from http://www.classicdatsun.com/

And I plan to run a BRE spoiler when I have time to find one.  Like the contrast as well. The only question is do I get one with the flat part for the 240Z badge or plain. I am kind of partial to the plain. 

I originally painted mine in contrast like you have now. However I didn't use black. I painted the spoiler same color as the tail light panel.

After many years like that I wanted a change and now went back the same color as the car on the spoiler. I think if you do the spoiler and tail

light panel the same color you will like it even better.

I am trying to order a spoiler now from BRE.  I will order some paint as well to match the rear tail light surround. This way I will have both, a body color and a darker grey.

This is my last splurge until I start my saving for some kameari seats. It is either these or a leather redo of my OEM seats, which look lovely now, but I think really need some new foam!

1863_pd2151927_1.png

We are after the same parts ; )

Im looking for the same seats, they are beautiful. 

But the cost of shipping and taxes/fees Japan - Sweden are high, Very high! So ill have to save up and make it a winter project next year : (

There are also a variation of these seats that are cheaper and very small and of low quality.

Don't know either. 

But you will sit a bit higher if you don't modify the "metal bracket"? (can't find the name for it) were you attach the seat to the floor.

Thats what I've been told.

Edited by moelk