IGNORED

[2016] What Did You Do To/with Your Z Today?

zed2

What's your plan to keep the timing right with the shave?  Are you going to use shims under the towers or adjust the timing and chain?  If you do the latter, PM me and I'll tell you exactly how I did mine.  I shaved 0.50" and didn't use tower shims.

• 2 weeks later...

I put in a new battery and fired it up - started up immediately even though it had been sitting for some time.  Prior to the old battery going dead, I had noticed a clicking coming from the front of the car when driving - speed of the clicking increased with the speed of the car.  Today, the clicking became a clunking and the Z is now parked in the driveway.  Couldn't see anything loose or hanging by the wheels.  Maybe a bad 45 year old wheel bearing?

Dennis

I totally understand the "aging out" syndrome. Physical projects take a little longer to accomplish, recovery time takes a lot longer. The really difficult projects, I call on my son, Alex. He's fun to work with. We tend to be competitive with each other and love nothing better than to see the other person screw up or take longer than he should. All in good fun and a great way for him to learn about Zs. He drives an 81 RX7.

Hope your mechanic can get to it soon. I doubt it's anything more than wheel bearings.

3 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Hope your mechanic can get to it soon. I doubt it's anything more than wheel bearings.

My mechanic is booked until next Monday.  So it will be a few days before I know the cause of the noise.  I'm just glad to have a mechanic that works on older imports.  Sounds like your son is eager to learn and enjoys a good challenge.  My child never got too interested in the care and feeding of sports cars.  Fortunately, he makes a good living doing classified things for three letter government agencies so he can pay someone to work on his car.

Dennis

• Like 2

On 2016-03-11 at 0:43 PM, siteunseen said:

Will you be bolting the header up before dropping the motor back in? I'm at that stage now and can't decide. Any advice would be great.

Cliff

I did put an engine in last year and actualy did bolt the header before it is a lot easyer to bolt on and there is plenty of room

when you dump it in. For those that now the story i will put the engine back again next week or so and will do exact same.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2016 at 7:07 PM, 240Ziggy said:

It's already been one full year, where has the time go? I'm working on my son's '70 240Z.  Luckily we found an OEM driver's side inner fender in Vermont and got it in time for Christmas! Replacing the inner fender and frame rail.

L_InnerFender_1.jpg

L_InnerFender_2.jpg

L_InnerFender_3.jpg

L_InnerFender_4.jpg

Hi Ho Hi Ho, Its Off To Weld We Go!!
Uh Oh, So Many More Years To Go Go!!

hahaha Happy New Year!!

I am truly inspired. I thought replacing floors was labor intensive! KICK arse MAN!

• Mike locked this topic