IGNORED

Black Fiber Synchros on all 5 gears?

blodi

JMortensen is a Datsun Guru on HybridZ. He mentioned the Porsche type 915 tranny rings... but also in a different he mentions Porsche type 901 rings. Best to physically take the parts down to a Porsche Transmission expert to match. Maybe give JM a Private Message about these boxes.

Here's a link where he mentions the 915 and 901 Porsche boxes:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/92246-to-people-with-experience-with-the-datsun-comp-5-speed-need-parts-for-one/

Edit: I would NOT order any parts from E-Bay until you have taken a Servo apart and have them identified positively by experts (Porsche) . There's a lot of guess work back and forth even by the experts on what parts fit and what don't on the Nissan Comp boxes.

Edited by Chickenman

There is also speculation that Datsun 2000 roadster Servo rings may work as these are the Porsche design and made of steel. To me that makes a lot of sense because the Production of the 2000 Roadster and early 240Z's overlapped in 1970. Nissan would have had all the tooling and parts to use in the non-USA 5 speeds. Datsun 2000 Roadster rings may be easier or harder to find than the Porsche ones. Or they could be the exact same part!!

The ratios will determine how the tranny behaves behind any given engine. You won't know the difference if the ratios are similar to a yellow metal used tranny. You are also not likely to flog your newly rebuilt one on the street the way a track tranny is used. If it's a competition tranny sell it and rebuild a more common tranny and use the rest of the cash to work on the car. Win win for everybody...If it has the lower 1st gears it will actually be slower off the line because races cars don't spend much time in 1st gear, racers want close ratios because they can keep the engine in the sweet spot rpm wise. A street car almost never gets driven like this, continuous operation in 4,000-6,000 rpm range or higher

Put it in the classifieds or on ebay or both. You could pm some of the racers on the site...Jeff, Chuck, John Coffey, etc...

if they don't want it, they might know someone who does...

Edited by Patcon

So is the consensus growing that this is a Nissan Competition 5 speed with the tail shaft converted to slip-yoke?  

Still need the ratios to be more informed.  Thanks for the puzzle.

Found some more links.

http://www.datsunroadster.com/PIC_PAGES/PARTS_INFO_PAGES/synchro_info.htm

Doesn't look like a Roadster box - http://www.datsunroadster.us/PIC_PAGES/PARTS_INFO_PAGES/transmission_types.htm

Here's a Comp box for sale, with the flanged tail - http://510forsale.blogspot.com/2009/11/1969-datsun-pl-510-road-race-car-for.html

2 hours ago, blodi said:

^Point taken. So, where is the best place to advertise such a trans to interested parties? 

Also, anyone know of an available wide ratio 5 speed? :)

Google SCCA Forums. They have classified for Race Parts and Cars and you will reach the widest interested buying group that way. And people with $$$.

If you advertise on E-bay, make sure that you put a ( high ) minimum reserve on it. Other wise you could end up selling it for $180.... Ouch!!!

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

So is the consensus growing that this is a Nissan Competition 5 speed with the tail shaft converted to slip-yoke?  

The Z 5 speed Comp boxes already had slip yokes. Flange output is the link for that red 510 looks like a conversion type or Roadster type. It's a bit hard to tell from the picture...

Edited by Chickenman

Thanks guys. I'll get the ratios identified on Monday and take some pics and get it listed. 

I still do need to figure out what synchro ring goes in there too  

And if anyone does know of a wide ratio five speed that someone wants to let go of...let me know! 

You might as well take it apart and measure everything.  The gearing is what make a transmission a Competition box.  Synchros are secondary.  As mentioned there are steel Warner and Servo style synchros and I'm not smart enough to tell the difference without them in my hands.  If they are the servo style then Porsche parts are readily available at Porsche prices.  If you don't want to do the rebuild I can get the guys at Rancho to do it if it has the servo style.  They do all our 741, 901, 915, and G50 boxes for us.

Edited by John Coffey