IGNORED

Restoring a 1977 280z! (My first z car)

Jacob Grimm

In the past i matcht locks to a key.. if you have a lock that does not work to your doorkey.. its no rocketscience to make e'm work..

I also used 240z locks to repair a 280zx lock! 

fwiw

Mart

Mart,

I am not a rocket science gal. But I would like to know (in easy terms) how to repair a lock that will not open with the key. It opens the driver door fine, but not the passenger door.

Thanks,

Jai

Hello Jai,

You take out the passengerlock and pry the chrome front off.. and take of the hook on the back..  carefully because you have put it back on later.. then you put your key into it, if it does not get in completely you have to look for metal parts in there..

With the key in place there are 4 or 5 lockplates (Lets call e'm that!  :P ) they have to sit flat with the surface.. if not flatten them but with the key in place!  not with a file, use a grinder and carefully grind them flat....  clean the lock  remove raw surface with 600 sandpaper or finer.

Put some lube on and assemble the lock.

Offcourse use the key you want the lock to work with.. :D

Sorry for bad english if... :unsure:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The title 42 has officially been approved by the state. should have the title back next week they say. Unfortunately, i think i have come to the decision that im going to sell her. I will have plenty of time in the future to have my fun cars, but im about to go to college, and i need a good reliable car to get me to work and everything else. I'ts just not practical for me to keep spending money on my datsun right now.  :(

Edited by SnakemanJake