IGNORED

To Buy or not to Buy. That is the Question! Series 1 240Z

loudoun

Congrats on joining our merry, mad group of owners!  A couple of brief notes on working your project:

* Individually bag and tag EVERYTHING that comes off the car - as I told another poster a while back: you want to become the zip bag king on your block.  Do not rely on your memory, do not combine a lot of stuff into a common bag such as bolts, washers, ...etc.

* Throw NOTHING away until the replacement item is installed.

* Keep a running list (spreadsheet recommended) of everything that might need replacement as it comes off the car - this list can eventually become your build sheet as you purchase your parts.

I have a PDF of my build sheet as an example.  If you want a copy, PM me with your email.

Good luck - you have a great start!!!  I vote for 920 Safari Gold if you do a re-paint (prejudiced yes!).

Grease can wipe marker from baggies over time. (I know).

My next resto will use tags where possible as well as printed labels in each baggy..... plus many pictures.

It would be good to give each bag a unique number that is referenced by the spreadsheet.

Using a system of prefixes like E0001 for engine, FS0001 for front suspension.... etc would be good to follow from the start.  Plan it.

Congrats Loudoun!  I am glad you got the car.  We would have all been a little disappointed if someone else swooped in and got it.  As others said, you have a great starting point.  In keeping with everyone's suggestions above on keeping, bagging, and tagging everything, protect the wheel covers with your life.  They are nearly impossible to find and the fact they are still with your car after 44 years is incredible.  Even if you go with another set of wheels please keep the steel wheels and wheel covers.  Again, congratulations and we look forward to pictures and updates on your progress.

Grease can wipe marker from baggies over time. (I know).

My next resto will use tags where possible as well as printed labels in each baggy..... plus many pictures.

It would be good to give each bag a unique number that is referenced by the spreadsheet.

Using a system of prefixes like E0001 for engine, FS0001 for front suspension.... etc would be good to follow from the start.  Plan it.

Great looking car!

Blue speaks the truth on labeling baggies.  You have to use paint thinner to get it off most anything except a Zip-Loc. :) 

Sharpie labeling the baggies is good when you're first starting but definitely go back and put a note inside the baggies of the contents.  They will surely smudge after you handle them a couple of times, I use the yellow Post-It notes now.  A spiral notebook is great for jotting down notes to yourself about placement and orientation of parts.  I like to put the bolts back into the part and wrap a small wire around the threads to hold them in place.

I took the car to my local mechanic to have a look at the brakes, because they seemed to take awhile to stop the car.  The verdict:  they are crammed with gunk and fluid is not even getting to where it should.  He recommended replacing a good deal of the components, including the master cylinder, booster, rear cylinders, calipers, as well as new shoes, pads and axle joints.  He is a real straight shooter, so I trust him.  It will be costly, but is worth it for safety.  Does anyone have a good source for reasonable parts?  I can supply cores from a 73 and early 71 parts car.

The good was that the car looked really clean up on the lift!

I replaced my stuff from rockauto.com and Advance Auto.  You'll have to send your old stuff back for core charges though.  The rear wheel cylinders are a pain.  They have changed the angle the hardline screws into.  I ended up bending the hardline so it would line up.  My trick was swapping the lines from right side to left, it didn't require as much bending that way.  You can buy a pretty decent set of stainless hoses that go from the calipers to the cylinders off ebay.com.  You can get everything off ebay, I just realized.  :)

If you're working with a budget I'd say get all you can from Advance online.  Put in "TRT30" for the coupon code for 30% off.  Then you pick it up at the store.

I'll add this, with new brakes and a new set of tires mine went from a ill driving clunker to a smooth as silk Cadillac.  Of course then I HAD to pull the motor, sarcastic emoji.  I haven't driven it since February.  :facepalm:  

post-24724-1415083022141_thumb.jpg
post-24724-14150830220712_thumb.jpg
post-24724-14150830085323_thumb.jpg
post-24724-14150830084697_thumb.jpg
post-24724-1415083008379_thumb.jpg
Edited by siteunseen