IGNORED

240Z Resto - 01/1970 Car

Careless

Anyone know what the 55476-N4300 bushing looks like? 

I don't want to order another part that the dealer won't allow me to return.

The clutch disc superceeded and cost me 150 bucks :-/

EDIT: nvm, found a photo:

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Careless

I'll be putting in an order of bushings this week as well as a bunch of other non-dealer parts. The bushings don't need installing right now. I'm going to torque whatever I can and then remove/replace the bushings when I have some downtime- so that means I also have time to borrow a friends dimple die set and see if it will flare over the bushing when I get to that.

I've gotten some conflicting info, rather- i found conflicting issues regarding the heat-shield under the carbs... The one I was given by ztherapy was coated in the matte-grey looking cold galvanized coating, which I have a can of at home that is an exact match. However, the photos I've seen are not anywhere near what the matte gray Cold Galv coating looks like. It looks more like Bright Zinc Cold Galvanizing (which I also have a can of).

Can anyone confirm what the original finish of this part might be?

The current coating is like this:

QvwMBm2.jpg

The coating I keep seeing on other heat shields is like this:

4pfrNeE.png
ZjhgAbe.jpg

:-/ not sure what to use. leaning towards the second one.

my coil bracket and wire clamps are indeed replated clear zinc, with the help of some photos provided by 26th-z, I was able to make that decision on their factory finish. I just found the heat shield somewhat odd.

Maybe I should re-blast it and have it plated clear zinc. Please let me know what you find.

4 hours ago, Mark Maras said:

Any of the orig. early heat shields I've seen were bare aluminum. No finish on them. The finish was similar to the aluminum door sill plates all of which slowly oxidize over time to a dull finish.

They are definitely not aluminum as far as I can tell by both of the ones I have with me. I'll have to double check, but I do recall one being stuck to a parts-tray with a magnetic base at one point while shuffling things around in my garage.

I just checked the 71 parts car and tried to scratch off any cold galvanizing compound i could pick at with my fingernail and nothing came off. i believe it is clear zinc. I will have to sandblast this one for the 3rd time now. LOL sheeeeeeeiiitt

So much for memory. Next time I'll check first. The finish, however, is much like an aluminum color spray paint. Bright but not reflective at all. There are some cold galv. sprays that look similar but most are a darkish flat grey.

Just had another thought about the original coating on the shields, It's quite possible the shields were aluminized sheet metal. More durable than galv. and might explain the color. I've worked with aluminized wire, vs. galv., on spec jobs. The finish looks and feels like freshly blasted alum. using very fine media.

3 hours ago, Careless said:

I just checked the 71 parts car and tried to scratch off any cold galvanizing compound i could pick at with my fingernail and nothing came off. i believe it is clear zinc. I will have to sandblast this one for the 3rd time now. LOL sheeeeeeeiiitt

Yes, definitely the clear zinc plated steel.  Surprisingly, they hold their finish pretty well as seen in the pictures of the original heat shields.  The 'yellow' zinc seems to turn brown over time.