IGNORED

Project Boondoggle (or, so I went and bought a Z!)

charliekwin

My Speedy Stitcher came on Saturday afternoon, and...that's what I've been doing this weekend

I did a test row of stitches on some vinyl to see how it was going to work and look, and the results (while slow) were good, so I decided then to do the whole thing by hand.

IMG_4794.jpg

First job is to mark all the holes. I printed out a 5mm 'ruler' at the office and used that and a finely sharpened Sharpie grease pencil to do all the marking; following the procedures outlined in Cesar's (cechaflo) videos. I tried to avoid looking at the clock too much, but just the marking probably took almost an hour.

IMG_4795.jpgIMG_4796.jpg

Instead of trying to punch through the leather and stitch with the awl, I used the machine to pre-punch each of the holes. Taking off the presser foot helps with visibility and there are markings on the machine to help keep everything aligned. There's no thread in the machine and each hole was punched turning the machine by hand. Doing this was a huge help when it came time to do the actual stitching.

IMG_4797.jpgIMG_4798.jpg

The awl comes with a couple of needles, both of which are BIG. Fortunately, a regular Singer-style needle will fit in the chuck, so I used the same needle in the awl that I used in the machine to punch all the holes. Then, it's just a lot of stitching: push needle in, pull back, feed the bottom thread, pull needle out, tighten threads by hand. And repeat that almost 400 times. (I'm a desk jockey by day but I go to the gym and lift heavy and am very grateful I have some decent callouses on my hands, because there's a lot of thread pulling involved!) The toughest part is that it isn't a movement that lets you get into any kind of rhythm or can be sped up. Each stitch took somewhere around 20 seconds, but I had to take breaks and keep myself distracted now and again. All told, I think it took about 5 hours over two days. The wheel itself also got a quick repaint, since it was chipped up pretty badly during the build-up process.

A lot of work, but hey, that's looking pretty good!

IMG_4800.jpgIMG_4801.jpgIMG_4802.jpgIMG_4804.jpg

That's a real commitment,  so when you are done will the leather be sewed on, glued on or both?

I'm doing a Euro stitch for sure and will glue down at least the back part of the cover where the finger dents are. I may glue more of it but will feel that out as I go. Opinions on gluing covers seem pretty evenly split.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Mike featured this topic